chapter three: time to say goodbye

closing night had started and it was chaos throughout the theater. it was still a while till call time when the cast got to the theater for their last dinner together before the two pm show time.

bailey and daisy had finished eating, so they were cards against humanity with madeline trumble, the other female swing and standby katherine, on the floor of the nederlander lobby.

"lovely ladies," corey cott (jack kelly) sat down next to daisy with a camera pointed at the girls. "what has been your favorite moment from newsies?"

"damn it corey," bailey spoke first with tears in her eyes as she thought through the three years she had spent at newsies. "you're gonna make me cry."

"sorry charlie," corey smiled behind the camera.

"i got one," corey faced the corey to daisy. "mine has to be when chris gatelli won a tony for newsies right before we performed."

"that was cool," madeline agreed. "mine has to be just the friends i've made through being a part of this show."

"oh no, it's me," corey turned the camera to bailey who was near tears. "i think dancing with the stars is one of my favorites because len goodman has been one of my dance idols since forever. i also loved," bailey voice cracked as she started crying, "that andy, the twins, and me all graduated on stage because it was just amazing."

corey handed the camera to daisy so he could hug the girl who was like a younger sister to him. little did the two know that daisy was still filming them.

an hour later was the last bren and bails mic check. brendon, bailey, and daisy were in big fish off broadway together in 2010 which is where they became friends. since newsies started at papermill, brendon and bailey (along with mike faist when he was in newsies and daisy when she was on) have sang together for their mic check before shows.

"what are we singing today, bren?" bailey asked as she sat next to brendon and daisy during warm ups. bailey was sitting in her left split while brendon was rolling out his leg. daisy was once again on her computer, editing some pictures for her instagram.

"what about 'showdown'?" brendon asked with a smile. three years ago, this was the first song the two sang together for mic checks after mike had left.

"let's do it."

"brendon and bailey," julia, one of the sound managers, announced over the system as the cast and swings did mic checks.

"start it bails," brendon smiled. bailey started singing will's part in 'showdown' from big fish after she handed daisy her camera to film then.

(Bailey's part is italicized and Brendon's is underlined. Both are bolded.)

you see this man?

this tired man?

he's a liar and scoundrel to the core!

you see this boy?

ungrateful boy?