chapter eight: first tech rehearsal

"hey fansies," jp said into the phone while bailey waved next to him. "welcome to our instagram takeover."

"hey guys," bailey came into the frame instead of just her hand being in frame. "welcome to day one of tech for #newsiesontour!"

"nice tag, charlie," jp laughed. "we have about thirty minutes to an hour before the rest of the cast shows up, so ask us questions. questions can be anything from do you remember old choreo to why is bailey called charlie."

"ooh this one's a good one," bailey was scrolling through the questions sent into the newsies instagram takeover.

"what is it?" jp looked over to where bailey was pointing. "let's do it, only because it's from nany rose." jp turned on the phone camera and pointed it to him and bailey to answer the first question. "hey fansies, first question is from nany.rose, bailey's grandma, it is 'can we have an outfit of the day?'" jp then pointed the camera towards bailey. "charlie, you're first."

"okay," bailey struck a pose. "my leggings are from forever twenty one, tank from amazon, jacket also from forever twenty one, shoes from converse." bailey took the phone and pointed it to jp. "pj, fit check."

"white shirt from target," jp struck a pose, slightly mimicking bailey. "sweats from nike, and shoes from nike."

"why must you mimic me?"

"why do you call me pj?"

"charlie!"

bailey turned around to see her younger brother coming into the theater with josh and ben following right behind him.

"brody," bailey called back with an eye roll after looking at what he was wearing. brody had his sister's old henley from the papermill playhouse production of newsies. "why do you have my shirt, cameron?"

"this one's mine," brody tried to defend himself.

"bullshit, brody cameron," bailey glared at her brother. "you outgrew yours two years ago, that is mine and you know it."

"sorry, sis," brody blushed at being caught by his sister.

"whatever, brodes, ask next time."

"hey fansies, bailey here," bailey was sitting in the audience under a blanket as she held jp's phone. "a question we had from lilia_edgar is 'how do you guys let swings rehearse?'" bailey pointed the phone to the stage. "right now, mel-bell is in for me as the girl swing. pj is in for skylar-"

"hey," sky waved his hand in front of the camera as he sat in front of bailey next to julian deguzman.

"josh a is in for julian, andrew is in for evan, daisy is in for josh b. who am i forgetting?" bailey turned to evan autio who was sitting next to her.

"um, stephen?" evan answered. "i think."

"stephen is on for jack," bailey added before turning the camera back to her. "basically, jeff calhoun or lou castro will say for swings to switch out with someone. normally swings get to choose who they want to based on who they are assigned to know the parts of. for example, melissa knows mine, molly's, and ginna claire's parts for the newsies, so she can choose between the three of us, but daisy, the other female swing, is another story. she knows the parts of five of the newsies along with my part, so she gets a wider choice of who she wants to be."

"normally, mel chooses bailey's and daze chooses cameron's or burrgy's," julian stuck his face in front of the camera to which bailey hit his face away. "ouch!"

"oh shush, you baby," bailey rolled her eyes. "i barely touched you."

"we should go exploring after rehearsal," stephanie commented. bailey and stephanie were sharing a dressing room at this theater.

"that would be fun," bailey agreed from where she was sitting on the floor rolling out her legs.

"does your knee hurt, ch-bailey?" stephanie had started to say charlie like she had heard molly, jp, and brody call her but she didn't want to cross a line.

"you can call me charlie if you want," bailey stretched and stood up. "i've never addressed people calling me that, but i really don't care. it's just a nickname. i'm gonna go see if alaina has tape."

"have fun with that, charlie," stephanie smiled as her friend left the room. she liked being able to call her friend and dressing roommate by another nickname than just bails like everyone called her.

"alaina!" bailey called walking into the physical therapy room. "you in here?"

"back here, charlie," alaina hesse was the tour's physical therapist. she had also been a part of the broadway cast for a little bit, so she knew bailey pretty well.

"do you have a tape?" bailey jumped onto one of the tables in the room.

"yep, hang on a second," alaina came out from behind one of the shelves with a role of black kt tape in her hand. "i'm keeping my nude stuff for the show. how bad has your knee been?"

"not bad actually," bailey held out her leg so alaina could tape it. the girl had changed into shorts just so she could be taped up without troublesome leggings in the way. "i think i might have screwed it up again when i did something for the instagram."

"what did you do?" alaina narrowed her eyes.

"i tried to do my original curtain call part," bailey muttered sheepishly.

"bailey charlotte," alaina was quite familiar with that part and knew that bailey always hurt herself when she did it and that was the reason it was changed.

"oops."