prologue

Wealth. Fame. Power. The man who had everything in this world... The Pirate King, Gold Roger. The great treasure he left behind, One Piece has opened the curtain on a grand era! It is a time when eager pirates set sail, battle, and become great! The Great Age of Pirates! Words he spoke drove countless men out to sea. And so men set sights on the Grand Line, in pursuit of their dreams. The world has truly entered a Great Pirate Era!

Of all those who aspired to find the legendary treasure, only one crew fulfilled their objective: The ruthless Straw Hats, led by none other than...

Monkey D. Luffy, victor of the world government and great pirate king!

Thirty years ago, the Great Pirate Era came to an end, ushering in a new one: The great Golden Age.

It was a period of relative peace. Without a world government, people were freer than ever.

That was the problem.

Several former officers emerged from the foundations of old government organizations, fighting to reestablish their power by any means possible, as well as great pirates whose sights were fixed on obtaining power, causing the fall of several nations whose path seemed to be prosperous.

From these conflicts, we can highlight two groups:

Those in favor of the liberal ideologies of Monkey D. Luffy and the rest of the Straw Hats, seeing them as heroes while they spread their principles individually, as well as allies such as Trafalgar Law or Eustass Kid.

• Those against, normally those affected by war conflicts related to the indeterminate governorship, protesting against the uprising of the great king of pirates.

But amidst both postures, an apparent hero emerged from the foundations of what they previously called Marine: Officer Koby. He considered the current condition of the world, and with his companion Helmeppo and other former officers, they founded the New Marine— an organization with peaceful motives without the funds of a greater power.

Along with the interventions of Luffy and his separated crew, they maintained certain balance between situations that could get out of hand. Still, others questioned whether it had really been worth it overthrowing the already tyrannical world government.

But... At what cost?