𝐮𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐨𝐚𝐤 𝐭𝐫𝐞𝐞

"i see you've met our dear emma." 

y/n finally arrived at her grandparents' house just as the sun was about to set, feeling how sore her body is the moment she walked through the front door. 

everything around here was different from what she was used to- the rustic and homey feeling of this wooden house contrasts the cold and empty room that she calls home. the fire crackling on the mantle, frames aligning the walls and tiny trinkets tied together the ambiance of the house.

yet, she's a stranger to warmth such as this. unable to grasp that such a house could exist outside the metropolis. she felt out of place, sticking out like a sore thumb inside of this familial compound. 

her grandparents were kind folks- welcoming her almost immediately and apologizing since they forgot what time she was supposed to arrive. she didn't have a heart to hold it against them, and told the couple that she's fine and got help from a local.

"yeah... she's a kind girl." the (h/c) haired girl smiled softly- thanking her grandpa, henry, who handed her a cup of warm tea. 

she never expected such treatment from her mothers' parents'. believing that if her mother turned out to be that way, then her parents' must be like her too. 

however, she was proven wrong when they dotted on her. their personalities a complete 180 from her moms'. and for some reason, she felt guilty that she had to bother them with her stay knowing that she wouldn't be of much use around here with her lack of skill and willingness. 

"how was the trip? you must be exhausted. we prepared your room- it was your moms' before that girl up and left." her grandma, maize, chuckled. 

the old woman saw some similarities between her daughter and y/n. how quiet and reserved they are when they're in places they aren't used to- or how they always seem to smile with their eyes. it was like looking at her daughter before she left for college, and never came home. 

but for some reason, she knew that her granddaughter would be different. 

"the way here is fine. a bit hot, but the breeze cooled me down a little." not really. in fact, the wind made it even harder for her to last a minute out there due to how sticky it made her feel. 

her hands were toying with her phone, texting her mom that she arrived when it was charged. the message is yet to be sent- making her mumble unconsciously about how bad the signal was. 

henry heard her little grumbles, and chuckled from the couch, his eyes crinkling in delight as he looked at his granddaughter.

"sorry missy, but it's hard to fin' cell service in this part o' town." this made her visibly deflate, hiding her disappointment quickly by letting out an awkward chuckle as she placed her phone in her pocket.

"oh, is that so?" 

"it's nothin' to worry 'bout. there's plenty of things to do 'round here other than bein' on your phone." maize piped up from the kitchen, the smell of cooked mutton filling the already warm house with warmth and greatness. 

"ya could hang with 'em horses. or if ya feel like it, butcher some pigs down the barn." 

great- now she totally has zero plans this summer break. y/n thought of spending most of her days indoors to avoid the summer heat and just laze around on her phone. the only activities she wanted to do was to go swim in a lake and stargaze. other than that- it should've been only her and her phone.

with no cell service around, texting isn't even possible. 

she was silent, pondering on what she'd do now which didn't go unnoticed by the elderly couple.