Chapter 6 - Getting Stronger

Yamato was peacefully sleeping on Kanae's lap, lulled by the gentle rhythm of her breathing. Kanae woke first, feeling the warm breeze in the air despite the early hour. She gazed at Yamato, his serene face a picture of calm as he slumbered.

Suddenly, the tranquility was shattered.

"Ka-kawk! New assignment! New assignment! Young Demon Slayers in trouble!! Ka-kawk! Urgent! Urgent!" cried the Kasugai Crow.

Kanae's eyes widened. "Did the crow just talk?"

Yamato darted awake, instantly alert. He grabbed his nichirin sword and turned to Kanae. "Kanae?"

"It looks like someone needs you right now," she said softly, a hint of worry in her voice.

Yamato nodded, donning his blue haori. "Be safe," she whispered.

He paused, looking at her with gratitude. "Kanae..."

"Hmm?" she responded.

"Thank you for listening to me," he said, his cheeks tinged with a blush.

Kanae smiled, her own cheeks flushing. "My pleasure, Yamato. Please don't get hurt..."

With a determined nod, Yamato left the mansion, following the crow at top speed. He ran through the early morning darkness, the urgency of the mission driving him forward. The forest loomed ahead, its oppressive atmosphere pressing down on him like a physical weight.

"Where are they?!" Yamato called out, scanning the area. His eyes fell on a familiar figure standing amidst the carnage—Giyuu, bloodied and surrounded by the remains of demons and shattered pots.

"Giyuu!" Yamato cried, exhilarated at seeing his sworn younger brother.

Giyuu flinched, his eyes widening in disbelief. "Yamato-nii san?"

Before he could say more, he shouted, "Yamato-nii san! Run away! An upper-rank demon is here!"

A swarm of fish demons attacked Giyuu, but Yamato was already in motion. He activated his breathing technique, a mark forming on his forehead.

"Water Breathing, Third Form: Flowing Dance!" he shouted, his blade slicing through the fish demons with precision.

Yamato sensed the upper demon's presence through his See-Through World ability. "Water Breathing, First Form: Water Surface Slash!" he declared, targeting the demon's weak points. The upper moon demon panicked, retreating into one of his pots.

"How dare you!" the demon roared.

Yamato noted the demon's bizarre appearance—eyes on his forehead and mouth where his eyes should be. "So, you're Upper Moon Five, huh? You use your pots to move around."

The demon sneered. "This presence... You're a Hashira, aren't you? My name is Gyokko. Would you give me a moment to show you my work of art?"

Gyokko revealed a pot filled with mangled bodies of young Demon Slayers, their limbs grotesquely intertwined. "Do you like it? Your fellow Demon Slayers, although their sizes are a bit small... kekekeke..."

Yamato's anger flared. "What the hell is so funny about this?! What is so amusing about this...?"

Gyokko's cells trembled, sensing the power in Yamato's rage. "Is this... me? No, it's Muzan-sama's cells..."

Yamato's voice cut through the demon's musings. "Not gonna talk?!"

As the sun began to rise, Gyokko launched a barrage of needles towards Giyuu. Yamato moved to intercept.

"Tch, Water Breathing, Sixth Form: Whirlpool!" he shouted, creating a vortex that slowed the needles. But when he turned back, the demon had already vanished.