Chapter 9 - Yamato's choice

Weeks passed, and the weight of duty pressed heavily on Yamato's shoulders as he surveyed his surroundings. The once-verdant landscape of his assigned region now bore the scars of countless battles. His muscles ached from relentless combat, and the thought of a break seemed like a distant dream. The demons were relentless, and with only three Hashira left, their burden had never been heavier.

As Yamato crouched behind a rocky outcrop, his thoughts drifted to Kanae, Giyuu, and Shinobu. It had been eight months since they had finished their training. Both Giyuu and Kanae had risen quickly through the ranks. Yamato allowed himself a brief smile, pride swelling in his chest. Shinobu had also become a Demon Slayer, passing the Final Selection perfectly.

In the courtyard of the Butterfly Estate—Yamato let Shinobu call it that—Kanae Kocho twirled gracefully, her movements as fluid and delicate as the petals of a flower in bloom. Her newly developed Flower Breathing technique was a testament to her ingenuity and her understanding of her own strengths.

Kanae paused, panting lightly, and turned to her sister Shinobu, who was observing from the sidelines. "What do you think, Shinobu?"

Shinobu smiled, her eyes glinting with pride. "It's perfect, Nee-san. Your Flower Breathing suits you so well. Much better than Water Breathing ever did."

Kanae nodded, her eyes softening as she looked at her sister. "And you? How is your Insect Breathing coming along?"

Shinobu's smile widened. "It's coming along well. The wisteria poison is proving to be quite effective. I've also been working on the infirmary. We need to be prepared for anything."

Kanae reached out, clasping her sister's hand. "I'm proud of you, Shinobu."

After mastering the Total Breathing Concentration Constant technique under Yamato's rigorous training, eight months had passed since Giyuu Tomioka had set out on his own. His progression was nothing short of extraordinary. With a determined gleam in his eyes, he had slain over fifty demons, including a Lower Moon. His speed and skill had earned him the title of the Water Hashira, making him the third fastest to ascend to the rank, behind only Yamato and Gyomei.

Yamato, now known as the Light Hashira, had continued his undercover missions, gathering crucial intelligence on demon activities.

Two months later, the sun set over the Demon Slayer Corps headquarters, casting a warm glow over the gathering of Hashira. Kanae, now the Flower Hashira, stood proudly beside Yamato and Giyuu. She had also killed a Lower Moon, her new technique proving its worth in battle.

Shinobu, her mind always working, had established a well-equipped infirmary for the Corps. She had spent countless hours studying, ensuring that every wounded demon slayer had the best chance at recovery. Yamato gathered Kanae, Giyuu, and Shinobu at the mansion.

Yamato smiled and said, "I'm so proud of you, Kanae. You and Shinobu have done so much for the Demon Slayers."

Kanae smiled, her eyes shining. "Thank you, Yamato. We couldn't have done it without your support."

Yamato's voice took on a more serious tone. "Can I talk to you guys about something."

Giyuu approached the group, "What is it Yamato Nii-san?"

Yamato, his eyes filled with unwavering resolve. "You two are Hashira now. I can be at ease knowing that even without me, you can take care of yourselves."

Kanae felt a sense of foreboding. "Yamato?"

Yamato replied, "I asked Kagaya for a special case and He allowed me to do this."

Giyuu looked concerned. "To Oyakata sama? What is it?"

Yamato took a deep breath. "I'm going to find clues about the demon that killed my mother and little brother. So, I have to leave for now."