60-End of Chapter 19

He blinked, rage suddenly dark in his eyes. "Do not think that just because I don't want you I'd allow you to seek a mate elsewhere." There was a growl at the end of it. "You'll have me, and only me. Because you're mine, and if you run–" And she shook her head quickly.

"There will be no one else. You're good to me," she answered. "You care. That is enough for me in this lifetime." Her smile was small and sad. "Thank you for choosing me." Her voice wavered, cracked just a little with the wetness of unshed tears. "Thank you."

He blinked then, eyes wide and then they were filled with something stormy. He left before she could apologise again for whatever she'd done, sweeping out of the door with a grunt.

She fell asleep to the brush of his fingers over her forehead. The shadow of his figure hovering and then disappearing throughout the night.

She thought he'd leave.

But the next day, he arrived with food and medicine. And the days repeated, of his care. Of him lingering by her side at night to check on her wounds. Of him and his quiet grunts, and the way he'd lash out and then soften.

When she was well enough to walk, he took her out of the hut standing tall by her side. His hand on her shoulder. The House was eating breakfast, they stopped to look when they stepped in. Their eyes hot on Quinn and she felt small in his grasp as they bowed and nodded.

"They won't hurt you," he assured, flanked her side, a protective hand to the corner of her hip. Her eyes fluttered to the women, the Alphas with their heads down, pressed to the table. Livia seemed distinctly different, gone were the rich furs, the jewellery, and there were bags under bloodshot eyes.

"Z..."

"Punishment only for hurting another," he assured, "I know you don't want things to be difficult. We've only confiscated her gifts, and she's assigned to your duties and a little more. Her stress comes from the house's knowledge that she hurt you.It worries the Omegas that there's an Alpha that wants to stake claim the way she did on me."

Quinn was quiet as he explained, stared at the table and the invisible line in the sand.

"Only what the law dictates that she deserved," he told her, sharply. "My reputation is on the line, I cannot allow another Alpha to beat up what's mine" Quinn nodded. His words made sense, and she turned to give him a smile.

"Thank you."

He froze, lips quivering eyes on her. The pupils expanding slowly, wide endless voids. "Of course, my Alpha." His voice dipped into a gentle purr, and she shivered, his fingers on her wrist. "Would you like to sit with them?"

Xin was looking at her when she looked, giving her a small curt nod. But the eyes of the others were cold despite their smiles. And Quinn shook her head. "No, I'll eat with you." She was not wanted there after all.

The smile he gave her was wide, a joy that bounced from his feet as he skipped to their bench pulling her along. The happiness was contagious, a bubbling that had a smile growing on her own cheeks.

He was excited to show her the food, a chirp in his voice as he pointed out the most healing of spreads. Vegetables and acidic fruit for vitamins, meat for strength and eggs for health.

His chest puffed out as if proud. He must have arranged it, the food on her plate, the outdoor setting. And he draped a fur coat over her shoulder like a lover, filled her plate like someone who cared.

But Quinn couldn't help noticing the stares, the glances from the other Omegas. The men continued looking, a sneer on their lips. The shake of their heads, Z didn't seem to notice continued piling her plate high with the best meat.