Chapter 17- Sky Lanterns

Potter pondered in dread, How could she do this to me?.... Humiliate me and leave me at the altar... I never pictured her doing this. Hermione always seemed so respectable, with a good heart and morals. At the very least, she wouldn't leave me like this without a word..... Would she?
He had gotten her kids here from Hogwarts on Saturday morning by use of floo powder, just for the wedding. They had to be back the following day, by Sunday night, by way of the same method. Luckily, the kids were familiar with floo powder by now and knew where they kept it. Their newborn twin babies were being babysat by Harry's new house elf, Chumbly, who was surprisingly capable (able to look after their cat and owl, and her garden, as well), back at Hermione's estate. They were sure the babies wouldn't sleep or behave at a wedding for several hours on end. And they had planned an extravagant honeymoon for a week in Hawaii, like a dream come true.....
I know the proposal might have seemed a bit sudden - if you call 30 years sudden - he thought, and there was the whole mess with their friend, Ron, for most of that time, but..... She seemed so sure that she wanted to do this... Get married. We had such a powerful, deep connection that transcended time and circumstance. At least.... I thought we did.... I really thought we were destined to be together, made for each other....
The organ player seemed a little flurried, like a cat on a hot tin roof, as she continued playing on edge. The "Here comes the bride" melody persisted until somebody told her to stop, or until the bride came in. Baum bumbada! Baum bumbada! Just then, at long last, there was a breathtaking display of beauty and elegance. Sooner or later, everyone turned back around to see the gorgeous, graceful Hermione Granger arm in arm with her father, walking down the aisle slowly, a huge smile on her radiant face.
Oh, thank God! Yes! Look at her! Harry Potter thought, with a gulp and a racing, thumping heart. Has there ever been anything more beautiful?
He thought not, as they made their way towards the alter, some people and photographers snapping picture after picture. She was wearing the most stunningly gorgeous white wedding dress and veil, heels, and lip gloss and light blue eye shadow. Gabrielle Delacour's daughter, Violet Rose Delacour, held her dress train behind her as they walked. The bright flashes subsided as Hermione's father lifted her veil and kissed her cheek, then went to go sit next to her mother, and Violet sat next to her mum.
Hermione walked up the steps to Harry and handed her bouquet of white roses to Luna Longbottom to hold.
She took Harry's hands in hers, whispering amidst the whispers of the audience, "I'm so sorry I'm late, Harry! My grandmum was talking my ear off and didn't even hear me say that it was time that I had to go and get married!" They both chuckled with glee and she inquired, "How do I look?"
Harry smiled with relieved, watering eyes and choked out his reply of, "Absolutely perfect!"
At that, remembering how he had called her perfect just before their first kiss in her garden, Hermione blushed and her eyes began to water up as well, a single tear then falling.
"Alright. Who had 'They'd cry before they even started?'" George called out, joking but holding up a wad of cash. Laughter emerged and the minister signaled for everyone to settle down as more flashes arose.
Sure enough, everyone turned to see a very small and old lady in a flowery blue and pink dress, using a walker to move down the aisle to her seat. Some people cleared their throats, trying to urge her to hurry up... She was going... About... 1/10.... of a mile.... Per hour.... It was excruciating, but about five minutes later, she finally got to the front row, taking another two minutes to find her seat and sit.......
Reverend Hinkle opened up his prayer book and as he looked down at it, he couldn't restrain a small chuckle of amusement. He then cleared his throat and then his voice boomed to the massive audience, "Dearly Beloved! We are gathered here today to join Sir Harry James Potter and Lady Hermione Jean Granger in holy matrimony. If anyone has any objections to this union, speak now or forever hold your peace."
Everyone was silent.
"Marriage is a wonderful and honorable state. It is a bond that must be respected, trusted, and cherished, for those of us fortunate enough to obtain its splendor, for the rest of our lives. May I ask everyone to kindly please bow their heads in reverence to our Lord?"
Every other head bowed as he continued, "God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit, bless, preserve and keep these two, and all of us; the Lord mercifully with his favor look upon you, and fill you with all spiritual benediction and grace; that you may faithfully live together in this life, and in the age to come have life everlasting. Amen."
Everybody chanted "Amen," in unison and looked up to see Harry and Hermione excitedly smiling as the minister announced that they had a song that the bride and groom wanted to share in this moment.
The song was George Strait's famous love ballad, I Cross My Heart. They didn't often listen to country music, but very romantic lyrics to this song emanated their heart's truest feelings and promises to each other.