IX |I promise

JOHNNY'S ARM WRAPS around my shoulder, pulling me close. We're sitting at the lunch table with a couple of his other friends, however, I pay no attention to any sort of conversation from the group. Through the crowd of numerous people, I can't help but gawk at Daniel. It's been a good fourteen days since Derrick basically forced him to not talk to me anymore. I'm shocked he listened, 'cause I sure as hell wouldn't.

I also wonder what could've possibly happened between the two. They were literally the best of friends, now all of a sudden they're attacking each other. Well—Derrick mostly doing the attacking part.
Oh, and trust me when I say I begged my brother to tell me. He was relentless though. He didn't utter a word.

Continuing to space out, the calling of my name snaps me back into reality. I flinch before slightly moving my head to become face-to-face with Lawrence. He shoots me a weirded-out stare, grabs a French fry throws it into his mouth, and chews it. "Are you good?" He whispered in my ear, a worrisome tone blanketing his voice. "I called your name like a hundred times."

I chew on my bottom lip, quickly nodding to assure the concerned boy. I could tell he didn't buy my word, yet he left me alone anyway. Traveling my hand to his tray, I seize a fry and also throw it into my mouth, watching Johnny resume his exchange with his other friends.

It's like my vision was programmed to be glued onto Daniel. There was nothing I could do to force myself to look away. I bite my lip without notice, completely mesmerized—until I'm not. I furrow my eyebrows when I witness Ali sit next to the boy, placing a peck on his cheek.

What the actual fuck?

Smooth, Larusso. What happened to her breaking up with you and you telling me how much you wanted me? I observe how she smiles at every word that escapes his lips, leaning closer to him every chance she gets. It was a frustrating sight. "[y/n]!" A voice screams. I faintly jump at the yelling, noticing an annoyed Ellie across the lunch table.

"Are you going deaf? I told you not to put your headphones on so loud, they do a lot of damage to your ears," the girl informs matter-of-factly. I 'playfully' roll my eyes as a response since I felt too irritated to talk, causing Ellie to add, "Is everything alright? What are you staring at?"

She slowly turns around to see what meets my gaze. She examines the room, having no clue what it is until she sees Daniel. Immediately rolling her eyes with a bothered sigh, she faces back at me and asks, "You're still stuck on him? It's really not that serious. You guys fuck at a party on accident, so what? It's not like you like him. Not that big of a deal."

Yeah, to you it isn't.

"What are you in love with him or something?" Johnny chimes in, patiently glancing down at me for an answer. Next thing I know the whole group is uncomfortably staring at me, and my hands become sweaty.

I shake my head. "No—what? I don't even know him that well."

"Good." A smile appears on the blonde complexion. He then removed his arm from my shoulder, stealing a sip of juice from my cup. "Because if you were, I'd honestly stop talking to you. I can't wait to beat his ass at the all-valley. Son of the bitch is so lucky."

"You said that like a million times already," Ellie points out, earning a 'whatever' shrug from Johnny. She scoffs before proceeding with her conversation with me. "Anyway, I'm hosting a party this Saturday [y/n], and I want you to come! I'm debating if it should be over at my mom's house or dad's. They're both out of town this weekend. Wanna help me decorate?"

Her eyes bore through my soul, her face screaming 'Give me an answer but it just can't be no!' — I excuse the intense stare as I shake my head in refusal. "Thanks but no thanks. I'm getting real tired of these parties," I admit, snatching my drink out of Lawrence's hand. I surround my lips with the straw while seizing a sip. Once I notice the bummed expression the girl had, I suggest, "Maybe Bobby can help you. He's good with parties."