X | never stopped liking you

"AND YOU ARE..?" The guy holding me questions Daniel as he pulls me closer to him. I proceed to fight him off of me but fail every time. He reeked of cigarettes and a mixture of rum. Dear lord, please don't ruin this party for me. The throbbing occurring in my forehead is already aggravating. I don't need extra attention from the people circling us.

I spot Derrick standing behind LaRusso, looking twice as upset and confused. I'm surprised he didn't say anything first. "Daniel," he replies, maintaining eye contact with the stranger. He then catches a glimpse of his arm gripping onto the flesh of my arm before glaring back up. "Let her go, man. She said she's tired."

The numerous amount of orbs gawking at me caused an uncomfortable sensation to erupt throughout my body. I nervously gulp, shifting my head to stare at my shoes. An almost inaudible squeal escapes my lips when the blonde lightly yanks while lifting his arms in defense.

"Well, man, she already agreed to come upstairs with me. Why do you care so much anyway? She's just some slut."

"Don't call her that you dick."

I poke out my bottom lip, nodding and shrugging—mostly to myself. Wow. A dick calling someone else a dick. How hypocritical. For about two minutes, the two go back and forth and by that time, I'm zoning out, completely unfazed. I just need a drink. Derrick soon steps into the argument, and before I know it, Daniel walks toward the guy and throws a punch.

A crowd of gasps follow up from the strike. Even more, pursuing after the stranger hits him back. Of course, my brother joins in. Yahoo, hooray—whatever. All I know is that this is my chance to walk away and I take it. On my way, I snatch a beer bottle and head out to the front yard, seizing a seat on the porch's stairs.

Sip after sip, the bottle becomes halfway empty. That's when I place it down beside me, deeply sighing as I blankly supervise the glowing moon. "Okay, okay! I'm leaving!" A recognizable voice shouts. I peek over to witness Daniel getting pushed out by Ellie's boyfriend. She likely told him to kick Daniel out. I then look back to watch the sky, ignoring the presence behind me.

"Prick," the boy mumbled before reaching down to grab my beer bottle. He then steals the spot where the glass is sitting to seize a seat next to me. He jerks his head to already catch me staring at him. He looked horrible. His mouth is bleeding, there's dry blood coming from his nostril and resting on top of his lip, and his eye is red and slightly swollen. Probably from the punching.

"Jesus, what happened to you?" I question, examining every part of his complexion. There's blood lying on his knuckles. I genuinely couldn't make out if it was his or someone else's.

He scoffs out a smile, glancing away to wrap his mouth around the bottle, swallowing down the substance. When he finishes, he glimpses back at me to say, "You don't look that good yourself either." I roll my eyes, immediately assuming he is talking about my smudged mascara and he chuckles.

Five minutes of silence passes. I continued to stare at completely nothing as I interlock my fingers, poking my tongue against my cheek while waiting for someone to say something. Daniel finished the rest of the bottle before throwing it in the yard. "Gosh, I know Mr. Miyagi is going to be pissed when he sees me like this. I think this is the drunkest I've ever been."

"I can tell," I giggle, referring to the catastrophe that happened back in the party. My smile slowly dies down and so does his, provoking me to turn my head to look at him again. He doesn't return the stare—but I know he felt it. His vision sticks to the ground like glue. "You know you didn't have to do that, right? I mean, sure it was nice you defended me, but the fighting part was so unnecessary."

"Well, I guess it's too late to say sorry."

My sight flickers between his eyes and bleeding lip, frowning. I then whisper, "Yeah, I guess it is."