XII | I want to know

THE CALENDAR MARKED December seventeen, roughly one day until Daniel's birthday and two days until the all-valley. Lucky to say, Johnny agreed to help me find my boyfriend a present, which is how we ended up in the mall—searching through thousands of stores.

The blonde didn't take it nicely when I told him Daniel and I are a thing, even though he sort of already knew. He said that he figured that me and Daniel would've gotten together regardless, him only 'threatening'  me to stop talking to him in the hope that I'll actually listen.

'Course, I obviously did not. It's been two weeks since I've been dating LaRusso. Our relationship is private—but not a secret. Basically, the whole school knows that we're together. Not like it surprised them. Some people thought we'd been together way longer than that. And can I blame them? No.

However, I've been noticing and spotting Alex way more than usual, which is weird. Every time I'm in the hallways, he's there. Oh, I want to step out of class to take a drink of water? He's there. It's like he's watching me, although in reality he's not. It's just my mind playing games with me.

"What about this?" I forward my vision to Johnny, thinking he's serious but I'm wrong when I see him with a crop top in his hand. "I think this fits him a lot," he adds, snarky.

This is the fifth store we went in. After stopping for ice cream, we took a break before heading right into another one. I chuckle at the blonde, shaking my head as my finger brushes against each shirt in the circular clothing rack. "Haha, very funny. It's too cold for that anyway," I play along, observing Lawrence put the shirt away with a fake frown.

"Do you even know what he likes?" Johnny attempts to create conversation, his sight sticking to the multiple amounts of clothing like glue. When I inform him that I'm unsure, he then pipes up, "Do you know anything about him?"

"Of course, I do," I convince, examining the jersey I picked out in my hand, whilst Johnny steals a glance at my complexion—not believing a word.

"When's his birthday?"

"Tomorrow, dumbass."

"Middle name?" He quizzes, an intrigued smile lying on his countenance.

"Doesn't have one."

"Favorite color?"

With that, I remain quiet, erupting a satisfied hum from the blonde. I roll my eyes, kicking his leg at most. "Stop making me look like a bad girlfriend," I accuse, causing Johnny to lift his arms in playful defense. After that, we spent about thirty more minutes finding what I thought would be a perfect gift for Daniel.

There are three bags full of items, and Johnny's carrying two of them as we find a seat to rest on. He takes a deep breath, fingers brushing through his blonde locks. We stay silent for a few, us mutually being exhausted and not wanting to talk.

"[y/n]?" A familiar voice catches my attention, witnessing my teammate Leah walking toward me. It's weird to see her outside of volleyball, wearing sweatpants and a sweater rather than her shorts and her number '5' jersey. "I didn't expect to see you here."

I give her a greeting smile, nodding. That's odd. She came to the mall by herself. "Did you hear what happened? Alicia tried calling you but you never answered," she informs, referring to my other teammate. Staying quiet and shaking my head no to her question, she proceeds. "Coach is in the hospital from a serious food poisoning. She wants us to have one more game for her in like two days."

Johnny tilts his head, looking away from his shoelaces to my face. "Two days?" He whispers, making sure he hears the same thing.

"Two days?" I repeat yet louder so it can be audible for Leah. She nods and my eyes travel between her and the male beside me. "But—the all valley is in two days. She can't just make us have a game on such short notice!" I protest, glancing at Johnny for support and he quickly nods when he realizes I needed his backup. "Who are we going against anyway? She can't do that."