Chapter 43

Author's POV 

Rathnama stood by the balcony, gazing at the torrential rain as it cascaded down...It's unusual for it to rain during this season.....Rain always held a significant place in her life; she was born amidst rain when the empire was plagued by drought, and as she walked towards the ocean to meet her end, the rain descended once more accompanying her.....

The rain fell when she discovered her impending motherhood, and it wept once more as she lost her daughter before she could fully blossom within her womb...

So Rathnama couldn't fathom whether the rain brought her fortune or misfortune...

Today's events and her conversation with Mangayarkarasi did not bring her any peace; instead, they stirred a deep wound that she could never reconcile with, a loss so profound that not even her rebirth could justify it.....

Her legs moved automatically towards the open space, allowing the rain to soak her, mingling with the remnants of that conversation and the events of her past life.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

"Queen mother Magaiyarkarasi...."

Rathnama softly called out to the elderly lady lying in the bed, who had been bedridden for years. There was a maid who assisted Mangaiyarkarasi.....

Magaiyarkarasi laughed loud hearing someone addressing her as Queen mother....

"Who are you??..."

she asked looking at Rathnama....

"She is the Empress of the Sethupathi Empire, Rani Udaiyaal Rathnama Devi....."

Kuyili announced with pride.....

"Kuyili.....She is also once the Empress of this same empire....also she is both me and Udaiyaar's grandmother"

Rathnama said to Kuyili. In response, Kuyili bowed respectfully, stepped back, and positioned herself beside the maid attending to Mangaiyarkarasi..

"Forgive me Queen mother.....forgive me Perarasi..."

Rathnama nodded her head lightly and move forward towards Mangaiyarkarasi...

"So he finally married his Udaiyaal..."

"You know him? But how... you were imprisoned in this fort even before he was born, and your maid is deaf and mute."

She smiled at Rathnama and raised her hand...

"Come here Udaiyaal"

Rathnama gazed at her, puzzled. She didn't seem like an evil woman..... now, Mangaiyarkarsi's eyes were filled only with love and longing......regrets may be....

Rathnama took a deep breath and moved closer to the bed.....Magaiyarkarasi looked at her closely....

"You exactly look  like your mother...."

"I know....."

"How is she now?????"

Rathnama was taken aback. Magaiyarkarsi remained unaware of her youngest daughter Umaiyaazh's demise. Surely, she wouldn't be aware of her son, Emperor Ellalan Sethupathi's dismissal either. Observing her silence, Magaiyarkarasi let out a painful chuckle

"She also left this world......before him or after him?"

"which Him?"

"The girl referred to you as the Empress of the Sethupathi empire, not as Alarmelu Nachiyar. This implies that my son is no longer with us. He cherished his sister deeply..... she was the most beloved among all his sisters, being the youngest. She, in turn, would always turn up to her brother what ever she needs....that's why I asked you before him or after him........"