Chapter - 44

Author's POV

The crowd assembled in the main arena, where the stage was prepared for "Valli Kuravanji Nadagam." King Thondaiman was perched upon his throne, elevated above the commoners' seating area, with his two daughters: Empress Alarmelu Nachiyar seated to one side and the young Princess Valliyaammai to the other.........

Empress Alarmelu visited Vadanadu primarily to inquire about her sister's desire to marry the Emperor, her husband...Although she could have easily sought her father King Thondaiman's approval, which he would readily give, she desired her sister's consent before proceeding. In fact, she hadn't informed her husband directly of her intention to propose her sister's hand for his second marriage. Instead, she coerced him into agreeing with her wish by threatening to take her own life..........

In the view of others, including her father, she came to spend some time as she was weak and distressed due to the miscarriage....

only 3 people aware of her intentions Queen mother Magaiyarkarasi, Prime minister Sandilyan and Emperor Ellalan Sethupathi.......

She believes he is unaware, yet the reality is quite the opposite...

Queen Alarmelu succeeded in revealing the news and presented her request to her sister when she finally found a private moment and mustered the strength to ask Valliyammai about such a matter........

Now it's up to Princess Valliyammai to decide....Alarmelu indeed forced her husband to agree for second marriage but she would never force her sister for the same....She can only request which is also not compulsion for Valliyammai......

Alarmelu can sometimes be an emotionally driven person, whereas Valliyammai is different; she is a smart and strong-willed girl who certainly won't involve herself in anything against her will...

King Thondaiman organized this Nadagam to boost his elder daughter's spirits and also in the hope of finding an ideal groom for his younger daughter......It was believed that those of marriageable age, upon watching the Nadagam (play) and praying to Seiyon, would soon find themselves wed.

But both his daughters were lost in their thoughts; the elder one in anticipation of her sister's response, and the younger one caught in a fierce battle between heart and mind.....

Before the play concluded, Valliyammai excused herself and retired to her chamber, stating she was tired and needed some rest....

Once inside, she secured the massive doors of her chamber with a lock. 

" Vadanadu is a part of your empire, Perarasae. There's no need for you to enter the palace clandestinely. The last time such an incident occurred, you ended up marrying my sister. But let's leave that aside. Could you please tell me why you wish to meet with me alone? "

Princess Valliyammai asked the Emperor Ellalan Sethupathi, who was disguised as a commoner, expressing his wish for a private meeting. This message was subtly passed on by a young boy amidst the ongoing play....

"You should let down your sister's request Princess "

The Emperor stated his position with unwavering conviction. Princess Valliyammai inhaled sharply, her expectations tempered by the reality of a man so utterly devoted to his wife that he would stop at nothing for her sake. The notion of him coming to meet her secretly to declare his love for her was, indeed, both wildly impractical and fanciful....

That was her dream and will remain as one forever...

"Please forgive my forthrightness, Perarasae.... In this matter, no one, including yourself and Empress Alarmelu Nachiyar, was in a position to command me."