Chapter 18

A good thing to know about people like Thomas is that they think so highly of themselves that they start to get really dumb in their machinations. Some time ago I started to wonder why Thomas would invite me to parties or would tell me about the crazy things he did with women, even knowing I was married and always avoided these things. He was the one who first presented me to Bianca, saying it was no big deal to have a female friend and that she was hot and funny and would know it was nothing more than friendship.

The way he has acted in the past seemed so casual and harmless, that one would think he was just trying to make friends with me. But now I see how malicious everything really was. Furthermore, I also wondered about the fact he went after my wife even knowing I would fuck him up for that. The thing is, I realized a bit late thar Thomas was not just dumb, but also a criminal.

Well, I discovered a lot of bad shit about him these past weeks.

Thomas has been making a good profit by blackmailing people. Who would imagine? As far as my information goes, he has four members of the team eating in his hand. The guy has pictures, videos and conversations and each month he collects his gain from his victims. He was smart enough not to ask for too much, so the victims would prefer to stay quiet and to keep paying him. If not for my confession and ulterior regret, I would have been one of the fuckers. Thank God for the small mercies of life.

Anyway, if the guy was capable of blackmailing people, he might have been doing even worse shit that was not discovered yet. So, I made certain to investigate everything I could about the fucker and voila! He was an imbecile with bad assistants too. Poor bastard.

He is in some deep shit, all right. I don't understand why a guy with a good future would do the things he is doing. How long the little shit thought he could live like that? Well, it was my duty as an honest citizen to make his shit hit the fan as soon as possible. No fucker will go after my woman without some consequences.

The shithead is sleeping with one of the manager's wives and has been blackmailing her too. Plus, he has not been 100% correct with his tax reports. A nice little way to make a path to jail.

One of the blackmailed guys I talked to, decided to get clean with his wife and to help me in my mission. He is going to make a complaint about the blackmail thing while I make a report about the tax fraud.

Thomas was happy in our last game and doesn't have a clue about what is waiting for him in the future. We had made a stellar performance and the directors were desperate to have me with them, period. They presented another proposition full of benefits and a nice, huge salary. I didn't want to decide anything without talking to Sophie and solving the Thomas situation first. I waited until the last game to get things moving, knowing very well I needed to be home to protect my family if the fucker decided to come after me.

I was prepared for him, nonetheless. My house was a fortress and I had my guns and a panic room installed at home. I would love to have him trying something so I could fuck him up as I had wished from the beginning. The fucker had set his eyes on my wife since the very first time.

I didn't make the connections before, but I started to wonder when these ideas first entered my mind. I always loved my wife and never thought about anyone but her. Somehow, though, my mind started to fill up with other women, parties, freedom and a new life. When I realized, I was looking at women with other eyes and finding my wife lacking.

This started after some get-togethers with the player's families. I remember being mad about the way Thomas was ogling Sophie up, staring at her tits and ass like a starved wolf. We almost fought there but the guys separated us and Sophie looked at me with her big eyes, so I decided to let it pass. But the next day, I found myself in a bizarre conversation about the best groupies and nightclubs, things I never cared about or wanted. Well, when a shithead talks and a shithead hears, shit happens.

I didn't know who to thank more now that I had all this knowledge. God, Sophie, James, my kids. Every one of them showed me, in a way, that I was about to fuck with my life by ending my marriage. I didn't know how bad things could have gotten, though.

The fucker also went after Sophie in a moment she was most vulnerable, thinking he would have a good shot with her then. I don't want to imagine if Sophie had said yes to his proposition. What would have happened? God, I am going to fuck him up!

I am driving home at this moment. Everything was already settled and I just needed to wait to see how things would unfound. But the most important challenge was probably in the kitchen baking something for the children.

She was the best thing to happen in my life. And, for some time, I forgot about her importance and the primal role she plays in my life. No one can replace the love of a good mother and wife. No one can give a family so much as a woman who loves and cares. The man who replaces a good, honest wife for someone younger or better looking, is just fucking his life up. No one can replace the love of a good woman.

I would have been living a tragedy now if Sophie had signed the divorce papers the first time she mentioned it. Just for her mercy, I am still here, not dying of desperation.

For that reason, I am doing everything I can to prove each day I can be a better man. I can desire just my wife. I can be faithful, I can do better. I don't need to follow any trend or culture of this world. My wife is enough for me, period.

I park my car in front of my home and thank God she is still willing to receive me. I get out of the car and the front door opens and the kids scream and run to receive me. Sophie is looking at us from the door with a smile on her face. I hug my kids and kiss their heads with love. My boy squirms a bit but I don't let him run away. We walk to the door with the kids babbling about the games and victories. But now I just have eyes for my wife.

I arrive next to her and give her a peck on the lips and she doesn't reject me. She has this sparkle in her eyes that I can't identify but she makes us lunch and we talk and play, and I don't give it much thought.

After some time, the kids are watching television and I have the opportunity to talk with her alone.

"So, babe," I say to hear with an awkward voice, clearing my throat. "I would like to... ahm... come back home today."

She looks at me with a strange face and turns her head to the side, evaluating me.

"And why would I agree with that?" She asks daringly. Well...

I clear my throat again and say. "We are a family. We should be together, sweetheart. I won't touch you if you don't want to." I fuss with my hair a bit because she is looking at me as if something is wrong with my appearance. I don't feel so confident right now.

"I don't want you moving back yet. You are not ready for that. I am not going to discuss this matter until I feel fit. It's my final decision." She says very firmly, not giving me an opening to argue.

I feel myself deflating like a balloon. Hell!!!!

"But why, honey? Why? Please...." I try to beg but don't even know what to say. I thought we were doing fine and that she wanted me back too. But it seems I was wrong.

"Because, Adam," she says very seriously, looking me directly in the eyes. "When a man chooses to leave his wife like you did, he needs to know how hard it will be to have her back. I am not a disposal object. I am not here to be collected again when you feel the need. You are not forgiven. You need to work more, buddy. The next time you decide you want out, you are going to be seeing me in front of the judge signing some divorce papers, without so much of a conversation beforehand. Keep that in mind."

With this last remark, she turns to join the kids and I take some time alone, to say as many fucks as I could without being heard. Damn!

If my woman wants more work, so be it.