Three

"I truly hope your expedition goes well," said The Grand Queen Dowager.

Her voice sounded weaker than usual. Hwi took immediate notice of the subtle crackle as opposed to her usual soft, gracious tone.

"It is in two day's time," Hwi replied.

She seemed pale, too. Her lips and cheeks weren't rosy but rather dull.

"Grandmother, you seem rather unwell," he finally admitted.

She gave a small chuckle.

"Well I am way beyond my prime," she croaked.

It had only been two months since she had learned the truth about Hwi. Although she played a minor part in this cruel twist of fate of his life, he couldn't blame her for it. She was just maintaining the status quo, and honestly, she didn't have a choice then.

"I will order for the royal physician to examine you," said Hwi.

"I appreciate your concern but you shouldn't worry about an old lady," she replied with a smile.

"You are the only family I have left," Hwi reminded her. "I can't set out on this expedition knowing you are unwell."

Taken aback by his response, The Grand Queen Dowager felt a sudden rush of emotions. What if the real Lee Hwi was in front of her now? Would his actions be as genuine as this, or, would he blame her for his twin's death?

"Don't let an old lady like me hinder you from what you are meant to do and meant to be," she replied.

Hwi gave a half smile.

"You played a part in who I am today," he replied, referring to his grandparents' actions many years ago in effort to ascending the throne and working to securing it with their bloodline.

"You are right to blame me for what has happened," The Grand Queen Dowager replied in a weak tone.

"I don't blame you," Hwi replied. "There was no way you could've prevented it from happening with my maternal grandfather at the height of his power."

He took a sip of his tea and gently set the floral porcelain cup back down.

"You should rest, grandmother," he added, getting up to his feet. "I'll have the royal physician tend to you as soon as possible."

Hwi gave a slight bow and exited the room.

"Summon the royal physician and see to it that he examines Her Royal Highness right away," Hwi ordered Eunuch Hong after stepping out of his grandmother's quarters.

"Yes, Your Majesty."

Eunuch Hong descended the steps in a hurry and headed towards the Royal Pharmacy.

"Perhaps she is just worried of your upcoming expedition," Court Lady Kim guessed.

"No matter the reason, I cannot leave without seeing to it that she is healthy first," Hwi replied. "She is my grandmother."

The morning assembly was less exciting than the preceding days. It seemed everyone has come to terms and accepted the royal expedition Hwi was about to embark on.