Four

The royal palace seemed tranquil from the outside of the doors of the main entrance. The two guards, who were probably no older than 19 or 20 years old, seemed serious about their posts. Hwi watched as a few young court maids chatted excitedly with one another as they carried their buckets of laundry to the other side of the palace, where they'd spend nearly all today washing and drying. It reminded him of his Dam-I days.

"Did you forget something, Your Majesty?" Eunuch Hong asked.

"No," Hwi replied, turning around. "Let's go."

He mounted his horse and turned to look at the palace one last time before officially setting out on his royal expedition.

"The royal carriage would've been a lot more comfortable," Eunuch Hong mumbled.

Hwi had ultimately decided against a royal carriage.

"It would just attract too much attention," he told Kang Eun Soo.

Besides, he'd miss out on Joseon's beauty being contained in the carriage the majority of the way.

"We will head to Prince Wonsan's residence in Yeoyeon first," said Hwi, adjusting his hat.

The mystery behind his older cousin's place bothered him too much for him to stick to the original route on the map Shin Yeong Su had constructed.

"We'll begin there and follow the route until we reach the palace again," Hwi told Kang Eun Soo and Eunuch Hong.

"Yes, Your Majesty," Eunuch Hong replied from several feet behind him.

"You must watch your lingo, Bok Dong," Hwi reminded him.

"Yes, my lord," Eunuch Hong replied loudly. "Also, I'm not great at riding so could you just slow down a little?!"

Hwi and Kang Eun Soo glanced at each other and chuckled.

"I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've seen your teeth," Hwi said to his bodyguard.

He smiled and rode on, carefully sticking next to Hwi on the dirt path.

For the first time in a long time, Hwi felt good. He didn't feel stuffy or pressured. Most importantly, he didn't feel lonely. Although he was a man of a few words, Kang Eun Soo was a loyal and great friend in addition to an excellent swordsman. Eunuch Hong Bok Dong, on the other hand, definitely served as a comical relief.

"Could you two slow down just a little?!" Eunuch Hong called out again.

Hwi gently tugged at ropes around his horse's neck in order to slow down.

"Don't tell me you're tired already, Bok Dong," he said, whirling around on his horse.

Kang Eun Soo did the same.

"I- I'm tired of trying to keep up with... with you two," Eunuch Hong panted as he approached them. "I'm not good... good at riding."

Hwi gave a small laugh and promised he will slow down. The trio then proceeded to ride until the town and people disappeared behind them. They entered the lush, evergreen forest and slowed down their pace to soak in the non-polluted air.

"So green," said Eunuch Hong. "Nothing but greenery."

"It's wonderful, isn't it?" Hwi questioned, admiring the natural beauty they were surrounded by.