Twelve

Breathtaking.

That was the first word that came to mind as they approached a calm creek with a dreamy waterfall. The yellowing leaves hinted that autumn was around the corner, Hwi's favorite time of the year. Unfortunately, that also meant it was a huge risk for Taeyeon, whose condition continued to fluctuate since they left Jinhae port.

"Perhaps, we should return to the palace," Eunuch Hong suggested.

Throughout their journey, Hwi had given the idea an extensive thought. Traveling with a two-month old baby is never ideal. Returning to the palace with him and his former Queen was also something he never imagined he even had to consider. It would be a total shock for everyone.

"Water, my lord."

Noh Ha Kyung handed Hwi some of the water she had just retrieved from the crystal clear spring.

"Thank you," he said.

Hwi held the leather canteen to his lips and took a small sip. He wasn't really thirsty but at least he could express he appreciated her effort.

"It's beautiful, isn't it?"

Noh Ha Kyung was still in awe of the view before them, reminding Hwi how much of a plant enthusiast she was. He had to admit the bouquet she'd arrange for him last year was beautiful and vibrant.

"It's beautiful," Hwi replied. "Such shame that people in the palace will never get to see such beauty."

He was right. It was something she'd never thought of before. She was so invested in being his perfect queen and producing his heir that nothing really mattered to her. Being outside of the palace definitely opened a whole new perspective.

"If I've learned anything since being away from the palace it's that the commoner life is simple yet happy despite struggles here and there," said Noh Ha Kyung with a smile. "They get to see and experience things people in the palace do not see and experience, which is a huge advantage."

Hwi gave a half smile. He was quite surprised by her maturity, which had significantly improved in a short period of time. She was already lovely to begin with but even lovelier now.

"What is your opinion of returning to the palace?" he blurted.

He'd probably lose his mind if he didn't ask her any sooner. Noh Ha Kyung paused for a moment and turned to him.

"I think... whatever the best route for Taeyeon is, we should take that route," she carefully replied. "At this point, he is all that really matters."

Hwi nodded in agreement, glad that they were on the same page. This whole thing would probably be easier than he was thinking since he had nothing to hide to her anymore.

"I know this will be hard on you with everything that's happened with your father and all," he continued, again feeling guilty.

He turned to face her.

"I promise you that I will do whatever I can to protect you this time," he stated. "I... I...

"My lord...

"I owe you," said Hwi. "I think... I think that's what led me to you again."