Fourteen

There were no questions surrounding the mysterious return of the former Queen and the tiny heir of Joseon.

"I am more interested in Joseon's future, not its past," Hwi told them at the next morning assembly after his return.

"I don't expect anyone to fully understand but I do expect everyone's support. Considering Lord Sanghyeon and all of his supporters have been fairly punished, I should clear any rumors regarding this very subject... including that of Minister Noh. I've learned on this very short expedition that Minister Noh's assassination was ordered by Lord Sanghyeon, much to my displeasure as I've already granted him a fair trial. Therefore, I hereby grant Noh Ha Kyung the royal status that she was previously stripped of. From here on forward, she is the one and only Queen of Joseon, and her son shall be addressed as Prince Taeyeon. Anyone against this ruling may now speak."

The assembly hall erupted in a brief chatter but no one dared challenge Hwi's decision. After all, only the faithful officials remained as Hwi had previously cleansed the palace of all traitors. Fast forward three days later, the palace still seemed calm.

"I guess that's how no one questioned my paternal grandfather's actions," Hwi said later to Eunuch Hong and Court Lady Kim behind closed doors in his own chambers.

"It is indeed simple for a king to give orders and for his people to follow whether the king was a ruthless ruler or not."

Maybe no questions or concerns was a good thing.

"You don't question a king," Eunuch Hong told Hwi of what he'd overheard at the Royal Institute.

The royal tutors were always chatting up a storm in there and Hwi seemed to be their favorite subject. It would be unusual if the place was quiet.

The only questions seem to come from Court Lady Kim. Although she didn't actually voice her curiosities, Hwi could read straight through her facial expressions. It was only right for him to explain his true agenda to her, anyway.

"It's a different kind of adaptation we must become accustomed to," replied Court Lady Kim, after hearing Hwi's full confession and plans for the future.

Her direct comment was in reference to Queen Noh Ha Kyung's feelings for Hwi.

"Although I must say I'm quite surprised to know that she still has feelings for you... despite knowing... the truth," she added.

Although surprised, Court Lady Kim did seem more at ease now that all of her curiosities were fulfilled.

"She isn't the only one who has fallen for His Majesty," Eunuch Hong mumbled.

Hwi fumbled around on his desk and pretended to be interested in a Tang philosopher's book. He'd read this book from cover to back at least three times in his existence, but he had no other props to occupy himself with in order to pretend he didn't care about the conversation between Court Lady Kim and Eunuch Hong.

"You won't believe how many women...

Hwi cleared his throat loudly. He wasn't sure why either but he found it uncomfortable when this subject was brought up - women falling for him. It was something he just wasn't used to.

"Some tea, Your Majesty?" Eunuch Hong asked with an uneasy look as he proceeded to fill Hwi's cup.

"Some peace would be nice," Hwi coldly replied. "I'd like to be left alone for a while."

Eunuch Hong and Court Lady Kim exchanged glances and nodded once before leaving the room, granting Hwi's wish. He really just needed some time alone to think about all of the "what ifs".