Seven

They ventured into the forest shortly after dusk. The only source of lights came from the waning gibbous moon and the sparkling stars above, somewhat illuminating their path in the darkness.

"The night sky is more beautiful at the palace," Eunuch Hong mumbled to Kang Eun Soo. "You can definitely see the moon and stars better."

Focusing on the path before him, Kang Eun Soo remained silent. Although there was a small lantern that hung at the front of the carriage, the viewing range before them still wasn't too great.

"We could've stayed in that hut another day," said Eunuch Hong, breaking the silence once again.

"The world is asleep at this hour," replied Kang Eun Soo. "His Majesty is wise for traveling at this time as there are less distractions."

Eunuch Hong made a face and shifted his focus back to the road. Earlier, Hwi had allowed him to sleep the entire day so he could accompany Kang Eun Soo throughout the night. Despite the two of them leading the way, Eunuch Hong felt as though he was by himself at times because of Kang Eun Soo's introverted personality.

"It's so dark," he groaned.

Inside the carriage, Noh Ha Kyung stared at Hwi as he slept, head tilted back against the carriage walls and arms folded. It reminded her of the time when he fell asleep under a tree in the palace. He looked peaceful although she knew there was a lot on his mind.

After leaving the palace, Noh Ha Kyung never expected to ever see Hwi again. Although the feelings she had for Hwi remained the same, she also felt strange at times ever since he had revealed his true identity to her. She'd become so smitten for Lee Hwi and Lee Hwi only that it was difficult, or rather, impossible to detach those romantic feelings from him, or her.

Despite the strange feeling, her heart still fluttered when they made eye contact. The more she stared at him, the more she felt... he was the right person for her. She was proud of him, proud that he chose to embrace Lee Hwi.

"So brave," she whispered, admiring his good looks.

She still found him as handsome as ever. As she leaned in to kiss him, she paused and ultimately decided against it as she was unsure of how he felt about the last kiss she had stolen. Not only was he speechless, he seemed rather normal about it. She wanted to know, did his heart flutter, too? Afraid to ask him, she allowed him to walk away without saying another word.

Soon, the tall trees no longer obstructed the view of the moon and stars, much to Eunuch Hong's content.

"Finally," he said, looking up at the brilliant night sky. "That's more like it."

He glanced at Kang Eun Soo, who rode as still as a statue.

"You can't tell me nature's beauty doesn't impress you," he said to the royal guard.

"My duty is to serve His Majesty only," the guy replied. "And right now, my goal is to get him to the next destination safe and sound."

"You don't have to be so serious all the time," Eunuch Hong made a face.

"I witnessed my father's execution at a young age," Kang Eun Soo began. "Perhaps that drained away all of my emotions."

"Now is the time to heal," Eunuch Hong replied. "Because you're not alone anymore."

Hwi woke from his sleep a little after dawn to find Noh Ha Kyung on his shoulder. He glanced at Yu Gong, who was still asleep while Taeyeon was coo-ing away in the little wooden bassinet they placed him in. After carefully moving Noh Ha Kyung to the side, he scooped the infant up and looked out the window. Kang Eun Soo was nowhere in sight. The loud snoring, Hwi assumed, must be from Eunuch Hong in front of the carriage.