Sixteen

"Another royal expedition, Your Highness?"

"Indeed," Hwi replied.

He assured Minister Shin Yeong Su that the topic was for future discussion.

"Preferably when Taeyeon is a little bigger and stronger, and after the state examination," Hwi added.

Minister Shin nodded and stroked his beard.

"Having the best scholars to serve the royal court will provide some peace of mind in the time of your absence," he replied.

"Not only I plan to add knowledge to our court, I also wish to establish a stronger alliance with the Ming," Hwi confided. "That is my greatest intention."

"The Ming?" Minister Shin questioned.

Hwi nodded and unrolled a piece of parchment paper. It was a map created by his older cousin, the late Prince Jae Eun, from the last time the Ming envoys had visited the palace.

"As you may recall, the events from the last encounter with the Mings were less than friendly," Hwi began.

He remembered as if it were yesterday when his feud with the Ming's Chief Eunuch rattled the palace. Now that he reflected upon it, he found it rather amusing.

"Although we had settled upon a fair agreement regarding the road conditions of the trading route, we never paid any attention to improving the conditions of the general population along those routes," Hwi continued.

"As the ruler of this nation, I wish for our people who live along these routes to have the best quality of life, meaning no discrimination or conflict with the Mings."

"And Minister Baek's activities aren't exactly positively contributing in any way either," said Minister Shin.

"Exactly," Hwi agreed. "It is unwise to be less interested in our relationship with The Ming when it really isn't as strong to begin with."

"You are wise beyond your years, Your Majesty."

Minister Shin Yeong Su smiled.

"Wise?" Hwi scoffed. "Some of these visions were already set forth for me by my father."

"Even if that's the case, it takes another strong and wise ruler to execute that vision," Minister Shin replied.

Hwi sighed.

"Things are easier said than done," he said. "I'm confiding in you with hopes that you will and continue to help me achieve such goals."

"As long as you continue to be the compassionate and righteous king, I will do my best to assist you in any way I possibly can," said Shin Yeong Su, followed by a slight bow.

"Very well," said Hwi with a smile. "I appreciate your loyalty."

He wished he had a dozen Shin Yeong Su's.

"Our top priority right now, however, is the state examination," said Hwi. "Your task is to help The Royal Institute decide upon the topics to be tested."

Shin Yeong Su nodded.

"I was thinking it should unfold over the course of a few days," he replied. "That way, scholars aren't overwhelmed with every subject in one day."

"That would be very exhausting," Hwi thought out loud. "Perhaps, a different test topic each day would be more ideal."

"We'll get started on this right away," said Shin Yeong Su. "I will personally update you of the progress as we work, Your Majesty."