Two

It rained on and off every single day since Lee Hwi self-declared the demise of Dam-I. It was almost as if the heavens were mourning her.

"The gods must be cleansing Joseon of everything dark in order to prepare for a brighter future," said Shin Yeong Su.

Hwi watched as he beautifully glided his calligraphy brush across the fresh roll of ivory-colored parchment paper to create a river.

"Your skills never cease to amaze me," said Hwi, with a slight smile.

"You flatter me, Your Majesty," he replied, without making eye contact.

His concentration level was absolutely admirable.

"Shin Yeong Su will help guide you in the future," Hwi remembered his late father telling him.

That was just early last year when he was The Crown Prince - the time when he, Lee Hwi, was forced to wed in order to name a Crown Princess. Given the advice from his father, Hwi had picked Shin So Eun, and even went as far as visiting her at the Shin residence to ask for her hand in marriage. Unfortunately, Shin So Eun had respectfully declined for her heart was reserved for another man... Jung Ji Un.

He couldn't blame the woman, though. It was hard to not fall in love with Jung Ji Un. Even during their adolescent years, Jung Ji Un had possessed this charismatic personality unlike any other.

"Your Majesty, are you listening?"

Seeing that His Majesty hadn't blinked in a while, Shin Yeong Su slightly leaned forward and stared into his eyes.

"Your Majesty," he repeated.

Hwi suddenly snapped back into reality. He blinked wildly several times before exhaling soundly.

"Are you alright, Your Majesty?" Shin Yeong Su questioned.

He was still curiously staring at Hwi.

"I- I'm fine," Hwi stuttered without making eye contact.

He picked up his cup of tea and took a sip. As opposed to his response, he was, in fact, not fine. His mind had wandered to the two people that shouldn't even be on his mind.

"It's not raining anymore," said Hwi, after a quick glance out the window.

It was then that he realized that Shin Yeong Su wasn't concerned about the weather at all.

"I'm sorry," Hwi quickly added. "It's just that I think this expedition is making me more nervous than I expected to be."

"It is indeed normal, Your Majesty," Shin Yeong Su replied. "You've never been outside of the palace before so this feeling is absolutely normal."

"Right," Hwi slightly nodded.

Little did he know that Hwi had been outside of the palace. As a matter of fact, he had spent his childhood years at a monastery before it burned down, and was only introduced to the palace as a result. Enter the cruel twist of fate.

"Do you intend to visit the new trading port as well?" asked Shin Yeong Su for the second time.

Of course, Hwi had missed the question the first time as his mind was pre-occupied by his ex-lovers. He shouldn't even call Shin So Eun an ex-lover since there were technically no romantic feelings whatsoever. It would've been a business transaction, if anything.