Eight

"Wow."

Eunuch Hong's jaw dropped as they arrived at Jinhae port.

"It's busier than I originally expected," said Hwi.

"The more people there are, the more cautious we have to be," Kang Eun Soo reminded them.

"Hiyah!"

Eunuch Hong carefully steered the carriage through the crowd of people, who all seemed to be unbothered that a full blown horse-pulling carriage was amongst them.

"We should find an inn," Hwi suggested.

Kang Eun Soo nodded in agreement.

"That's a great idea," said Eunuch Hong. "The baby might be hungry."

Hwi gave a small laugh.

"The baby or you?" he asked reassuringly.

"The people seem content here," said Hwi, as they came to a halt in front of a decent looking inn.

He proceeded to help Noh Ha Kyung off the carriage while Kang Eun Soo assisted Yu Gong with Taeyeon swaddled in her arms.

"Whoa!"

Without warning, Noh Ha Kyung fell right into Hwi's arms, leading her to reminisce on their first encounter. Her heart began to pound wildly as their eyes locked.

"Sorry," she said quickly. "My left foot slipped."

Hwi released her at once and straightened his robes.

"Bok Dong, why don't you go in and go about getting us a few rooms?"

Eunuch Hong nodded and went inside.

"This is a bustling town," said Noh Ha Kyung.

"Ever since we began trading with the Ming, businesses flourished in this area," Hwi replied.

This was the most they've spoken since they left the hut. Still unsure of how he felt, Hwi had to just go with the flow. He didn't fully understand all of this.

"You will have to stay here with Yu Gong while I take care of business with Minister Baek Young Woo," Hwi told her.

"This way, my lord!"

Hwi jerked his head to the courtesan house across the street where several young ladies were trying to get his attention, immediately making him feel uncomfortable. He glanced at Noh Ha Kyung and looked away when their eyes met.

"Amusing isn't it?" Hwi scoffed, trying to make light of the awkward situation. "If only they knew."

"I must've seemed just as foolish when I didn't know," Noh Ha Kyung replied.

Hwi watched as she walked away from the inn into the center of the market.

"Check in without me," Hwi told Kang Eun Soo. "We'll check out the town and will be back shortly."

Kang Eun Soo nodded and proceeded to secure the horses.

"I didn't mean it like that," Hwi caught up to Noh Ha Kyung.

He didn't know why he always felt compelled to explain anything to her anytime they had a misunderstanding. It wasn't like they were a couple.

"It doesn't really matter now anyway," she replied. "Since now I know the truth."

He followed her as she entered a jewelry shop and watched as she picked up a jasmine flower hairpin.

"This is pretty, isn't it?"