Nine

"I will give you one chance to explain."

Trembling with fear, Minister Baek Yung Woo rummaged his brain to find the right words. Although the king seemed calm, he knew with just one command, His Majesty was capable of separating one's head from their body. The minister began to sweat profusely. His knees ached, too, as they were pressed against the hard ground for quite some time.

"Well," said Hwi.

He stared at the royal official in disgust. If he didn't witness such atrocity with his own pair of eyes, it would've taken some convincing for him to believe that a royal court official could act so shamelessly in broad daylight.

"I've heard things about you but I have to say, you made quite an impression today," Hwi continued with a sly smile. "I didn't think you'd do such a thing in broad daylight."

Baek Yung Woo failed miserably this time. He should've been more careful having been aware that His Majesty had set out on a royal expedition. It never occurred to him that the king would grant his presence in a small town as Jinhae, though.

"Your Majesty!" he cried. "Please spare me!"

Hwi nodded.

"I am giving you a chance to explain yourself," he replied in a deep, serious tone. "Go for it."

"I...

"Father!"

Just as Baek Yung Woo opened his mouth to speak, a young woman about the same age as Hwi dashed in. Kang Eun Soo drew his sword and the woman fell to her knees at once.

"Your Majesty! Please spare my father!" she cried.

"Father?" Hwi questioned, completely unaware that Baek Yung Woo had any children.

"Jin Hee!" Baek Yung Woo cried.

"You have a daughter yet you commit these shameless crimes?" asked Hwi.

"Your Majesty, please spare my father," Baek Jin Hee pleaded.

"If I had to guess, I'd say you are unaware of your father's crimes," Hwi replied. "It's best if you stay out of it, or you will bring upon charges against yourself as well."

He'd hate for an innocent young woman to be punished along with her father.

"I'll gladly accept any punishment on behalf of my father," she adamantly stated.

"Baek Yung Woo, how lucky of you to have such a wonderful daughter," Hwi scoffed.

He shook his head and thought for a moment.

"I'll be staying at your residence for a few days to execute a thorough investigation of your crimes. Meanwhile, you are not to take even one step out of your property," he said.

"Y-yes, Your Majesty!"

Baek Yung Woo bowed several times while his daughter helped him onto his feet.

"Prepare the best guest room for His Majesty!" Baek Yung Woo exclaimed at the maids nearby.

He then looked up at Hwi, who looked away unimpressed.

"Your Majesty, it is an honor to host you in my home," Baek Yung Woo continued. "If there's anything you need...

"I need you to bring me all of the cargo logs," Hwi commanded.

"Y-yes, Your Majesty."

It didn't take long at all for the room to be prepared. Before he knew it, Hwi was sitting at the table in the room examining the cargo logs he'd requested from Baek Yung Woo earlier.