Nineteen

"King Lee Hwi? Pfft!"

Lord Sanghyeon dramatically spat on the ground for he was disgusted by his so-called grandson. He should've made sure himself at the time that the little bundle of terror perished all those years ago.

"You think you can deceive people with your decorated attire and hat?! You are nothing but a fraud! A fraud!"

Fuming with anger, Hwi clutched his fists and bit his tongue. Tears flooded in his eyes, not because he was upset or weak either, but because of the uncontrollable hatred for this man.

"You think you can take your little secret to the grave?! More importantly, you think the little brat Taeyeon is allowed to become king once everyone learns he isn't yours and your queen's?"

Hwi had allowed for his maternal grandfather to spout nonsense for so long that it wouldn't make any difference if he allowed for the lunatic to finish speaking before killing him.

"You think you're being a great father and a great king? You think you're some hero saving Joseon?!"

Lord Sanghyeon scoffed loudly and moved in closer to Hwi in order to whisper loudly in his ear.

"Pathetic! You're no different from me!"

Hwi threw a punch but didn't feel his fist pierce through any flesh. Yes, he could've swore he punched so hard that it was likely he could've left a hole in a human body... but, he didn't.

"Your Majesty!"

Hwi jolted upright suddenly to find Noh Ha Kyung deliberately wiping sweat off of his forehead. He was panting heavily and his heart was pounding as if it was about to jump out of his chest.

"Bad dream?" Noh Ha Kyung asked.

Hwi gulped. He then gasped for breath again and closed his eyes for a second.

"It felt very real," he finally replied.

"It's just a bad dream," said Noh Ha Kyung.

She began dabbing at his sweaty sideburns.

"Not just a bad dream," said Hwi. "More like a warning."

He turned to her.

"It's been a while since I thought of him," he said.

"Who?"

"My maternal grandfather."

Noh Ha Kyung's eyes widened. Her hand slid off the side of Hwi's face as she let out a small gasp.

"Lord Sanghyeon."

Hwi nodded and sighed.

"But you shouldn't be worried because he's no longer a threat," Noh Ha Kyung reminded him. "This is a new era now."

"That's not the point," Hwi replied.

He was worried. Really, he was always worried, worried for Taeyeon and Noh Ha Kyung and what would become of them if their secret was revealed.

"You mustn't forget how we're at this point now," said Hwi. "We are literally risking it all."

Hwi gently massaged his forehead with his right hand. He just had to accept the fact that the past will always haunt him... his past... and this was his grandfather's way of telling him that Taeyeon will be in danger sooner or later... and that he'll never be truly happy.

"Well we can either risk it all and try to be happy and strong together or risk it all and live in fear," said Noh Ha Kyung.

Hwi looked at her and gave a half smile. He was impressed by her maturity and growth.