Five

"I promise I will do everything I can to spare your father, but you must also leave the palace..."

The cries of an infant woke Hwi from his sleep. He realized that he had been crying, too, in his dream. It was actually more of a memory.

"Your Majesty."

Hwi blinked a few times until his vision was fully restored. He wiped his tear buildup from the corners of his eyes. He remembered how emotional he was when he confessed to Noh Ha Kyung that night, revealing his true identity. He felt sorry for her. He felt sorry that he had lied to her for so long and made her fall in love with him.

"Your Majesty."

Hwi turned slightly to the right and bolted upright at the sight of Noh Ha Kyung.

"My Queen!" he gasped.

Realizing at once how shameless he was for calling her that, he looked away.

"My Queen," she repeated with a soft chuckle. "Funny how you still address me as such."

"What happened?" Hwi questioned. "The last thing I remembered was Yu Gong leading me to you."

"You blacked out, my lord," she replied. "Must be from exhaustion and hunger."

"Or stress," Hwi added.

He was sure it was stress more than anything.

"I just didn't understand why Yu Gong thought I wanted to kill her, or you," Hwi explained. "So I guess that made me succumb to my emotions and thoughts."

"It's a long story," replied Noh Ha Kyung, getting up from the side of the bed.

Hwi watched as she went over to the wooden table in the middle of the room and poured some tea in a grey porcelain cup. She handed it to him. It was then that he realized he hadn't had anything to drink for a while. Just as he pressed teacup to his lips, the infant's cries filled the room again.

"Is that...

Noh Ha Kyung dashed over to a wooden crib by the window, scooped the infant up, and cradled the tiny bundle in her arms. She walked over to Hwi and sat back down beside him on the edge of the bed.

"This baby...

"... is my older sister's, Noh Ha Kwan," said Ha Kyung.

Hwi eyed her curiously.

"Where's your sister?" he asked.

"She's... she's dead."

There was a long pause as Hwi watched the interaction between Noh Ha Kyung and the adorable infant in her arms.

Something wasn't right.

The sparkle in Noh Ha Kyung's eyes were gone. It was as if she was a completely different person. The lively and clumsy young woman he knew before was no more.

"I'm sorry."

Hwi felt compelled to apologize. He felt as if he had no right to even ask what happened. He put her through this.

"Sorry for doing your best?" Ha Kyung asked.

"For the exact opposite actually," Hwi replied.

Noh Ha Kyung looked up from the infant.

"You did your best," she said. "You saved both of my father's life and mine, but Lord Sanghyeon was just too cunning."