Chapter 40. Alex.

My gaze was fixed on the runway. Sitting in the cabin of my private business jet, I tried to focus on the tasks ahead. The top priority remained the same: "Don't fucking die Dovlatov."

Our plan didn't seem as solid to me anymore. No, I wasn't scared; I just hated feeling uncertain, and that's exactly what I felt now.Caleb, sitting across from me, was paler than death. I suppose he, too, wasn't sure about what we were about to do.

"Mitchell, you're so pale, I think you're going to puke right into my lap," I teased him. Caleb remained silent. "So, should I backup?"

"Al, I'm amazed by your composure," he glanced at me sideways.

"What if I'm nervous? Would that make it easier for you or me?" I was just plain tired."That's not it," Caleb shifted in his seat. "Don't you think we should have prepared more thoroughly?"

"Our best guys are with us, the feds are covering us. We've discussed everything with that bastard Davis a hundred times, every move of ours is calculated to the millimeter," the flight attendant placed a glass of whiskey next to me. The thought that I drink too much flashed through my mind. But what else could I do?

"Yeah, you're right, but I still feel like it's not enough," Caleb fell silent and turned to the window.As the plane took off, it felt like once the wheels left the ground, everything would irreversibly change.

Four and a half hours later, our plane landed in Cancun. I slept through more than half of the flight, trying not to drink myself to death for the rest. Sam flew with us, and I was grateful she kept her distance.

A bulletproof minibus was waiting for us on the runway, we had arranged that beforehand. We silently got into the car and headed to the house we had rented for our "party." The rest were supposed to arrive in a few hours, including the feds. A meeting with the head of the Network was scheduled for tomorrow, and we were supposed to meet with Davis in the evening to discuss everything again.

Caleb told me that Anya was dating him. I don't even want to remember that evening. It happened the day after our fight. Caleb came to my office, I thought he wanted to apologize for how he behaved yesterday; after all, friendship is friendship, but I remain his boss.

"If you've come to apologize, don't bother, everything's fine, let's move on," I shifted my gaze from the monitor to him. He looked disheveled. "Are you okay?" I raised my eyebrows questioningly.

"I'm not going to apologize," he said grimly.

"Well, alright," I looked closely at my friend and simultaneously my right hand. "So, are you going to tell me what's going on, or should I resort to my extrasensory abilities?"

"I came to tell you that Anya is dating Agent Davis," a deathly silence hung in the office. My heart skipped a beat, cold sweat broke out on my forehead, a shiver ran down my spine, it felt like even the hair on my head stood on end at this news. My palms clenched into fists.

"What are you talking about, Mitchell? Are you drunk?" his words seemed like utter nonsense to me.