Chapter 31. Alex.

Dead eyes stared at me. They seemed to be made of glass. No emotions. No surprise, no fear. They just froze. Blood spread across the asphalt, turning almost black.

Sam's scream still echoed in my ears. I could hear her sobbing behind me. Well, let her feel what it's like to be the wife of a mafia boss.

I turned to Caleb, who was also staring at the severed head with a strange expression on his face. Disgust? Yes, that's what he was feeling at the moment.

"Take her away from here," I nodded in Sam's direction.

"Alex," she wrung her hands, and her already thin voice turned into a squeak. "What's happening? What is this?"

"It's a severed head Samantha," I didn't intend to sugarcoat it. "A message from our Mexican friends."

Caleb approached her, hugged her shoulders with one hand, and turned her towards the house. I watched them slowly walk towards the entrance. I watched Sam's shoulders tremble, and Caleb whisper something to her, trying to calm her down. If I were a good person, I would gently embrace her and try to comfort her. But I'm not a good person. I repeated this to myself again and again, ever since I sent Anya home with the driver. I repeated it when my fingers found their way inside Sam in the parents gazebo. I repeated it to myself when I roughly fucked Sam in the bedroom where Anya lived, the bedroom where we first made love. I repeated it to myself when I saw the announcement of our engagement with Sam in the news. I am not a good person. I never was, and I never will be.

For a brief period, when Anya was around, I allowed myself to think that I was not heartless and cynical. I allowed myself to believe that my life could be different. I allowed myself to believe that I could be different. With her by my side, I could breathe. She, and only she, was my life. I loved her, I love her, I will love her forever. That will remain my secret, the only bright spot in my black soul. I lost her forever, and it killed me every minute of my life.

Words from the security guard pulled me out of my stupor.

"They're gone, Boss."

"Get rid of this. Not dispose of it, just get rid of it. Wash away the blood," I walked towards the house.

Inside, there was an eerie silence. In the living room, designers brought by Sam sat on the couch in shock.

"Ladies, I think we'll continue some other time," I politely smiled. "I apologize. And I think you are smart enough to keep your mouths shut?" They nodded like dolls, jumped from their seats, and began packing their things to escape from here as quickly as possible.

I walked further into the dining room and saw Sam and Caleb sitting in the kitchen. Sam held a glass of water, and Caleb was comforting her by stroking her back. Approaching the table quietly, I threw a quick glance at Caleb. He shrugged in response.

"Should I call Dr. Julianni?" Sam quickly shook her head. "He'll examine you, give you some sedatives," she began shaking her head more vigorously. "Do you want one of the guys to take you home?"

"Can I stay here? With you?" she looked at me with a pleading expression. If I were a good person, my heart would have skipped a beat. But my chest was empty and dark.

"You can," my hand automatically touched her back in a reassuring gesture. In the same second, Sam leaned into me with her whole body. She was trembling. I hugged her in return, swaying slightly. I needed to get used to the new reality. We were getting married, and I had to at least try to learn to exist together. Especially since she had threatened Anya several times. There is nothing more dangerous than an offended woman. "You need some sleep, Sam," she hugged me tighter. Her embrace choked me. I literally lacked air. I pushed her away, and my whole body burned. It seemed like burns remained where her hands touched me. "Go upstairs and lie down in the guest bedroom. Don't worry, we'll be down here. Caleb and I need to talk." It seemed like my words reached her; she nodded and, swaying a little, headed for the stairs.