Chapter 33. Anya.

It seemed to me that my shift would never end. A never-ending night. Vera explained to me the workings of the bar, although I already had experience, I still had to listen to an introductory lecture. Vera gave me a small notebook with cocktail recipes to start studying the menu. The little book contained more than 30 recipes that I had to memorize by heart. My head was spinning. The club was crowded tonight, but my thoughts were constantly occupied by Alex. I was completely unprepared. When I saw him in that corridor, I wanted to die. And in his eyes, there was absolutely nothing, just emptiness.

Throughout the shift, my eyes roamed around the first-floor premises, fearing to encounter the indifferent gaze of blue eyes again. But he didn't appear anymore, either passing unnoticed to me or going to the third floor to his office.

Finally, the shift ended. I helped Vera tidy up the bar and headed to the dressing room. I froze in front of the door leading to the service corridor. What if he's there again? It seemed to me that I even hoped to see him. How pathetic, Stern, this man wiped his feet on you, and you still hope to see him. Bitterness filled my mouth. Out of the stupor, the sound of an incoming text message brought me back. I looked at the screen.

"Anya, I'm waiting for you at the staff exit 😎."

Damn! I completely forgot that I had plans with Mark! Fuck! Shit! I rushed to the changing room, quickly changed, hastily combed my hair, and hurried to the exit. Opening the door, I literally bumped into Caleb standing in the passage.

"Damn it, Anya!" he rubbed his bruised chest. "You knocked the breath out of me! What's your hurry??" He looked at me intently.

"Home. Where else should I hurry?" I tried not to look him in the eyes.

"Ilya hasn't arrived yet. I came to tell you not to rush." Holly shit.

"Um, thanks, but I won't wait for Ilya." I coughed. "I'll get a ride." I stared at the floor, examining the socks of my sneakers.

"Who?" Caleb's tone terrified me, and a wave of ice washed over me.

"A friend." Why am I so scared? Do I have to explain myself to him? I exhaled. "And, by the way, it's none of your business!" Anger boiled in me. Our eyes met. He silently looked at me, then spoke:

"You're right, little sister. I just worry about you." He stepped aside to let me pass.

"Trust me, there's no need to worry. With this friend, I'm safer than with...," I stumbled and raised my head. "Have a nice morning, Caleb..."  I said quietly He understood what I wanted to say. With this friend, I'm safer than with Alex or him. Caleb nodded silently, not taking his attentive brown eyes off me, and I went outside.

I saw Mark's car on the opposite side of the street. The driver's window was down, and I could see him leaning his face on his hand, staring at his phone screen. A feeling of calm enveloped me. There was something special about Mark, something that made me feel at home. Comfort, silence, and peace. I smiled at my own thoughts. I quickly crossed the street and approached the car. Apparently, Mark saw me in the side mirror because he hastily got out of the car and turned towards me, with a soft smile on his handsome face.

"Hello," he tilted his head and looked at me with his expressive emerald eyes.

"Hello," I froze a few steps away from him, not knowing what to do next. Extend my hand? Offer my cheek? Hug? All of this seemed unacceptable to me. Mark apparently didn't know how to behave either, so he just waved towards the passenger door.

"Shall we go?" he smiled.

At that moment, I felt someone's gaze burning into my back. I was afraid to turn around, afraid to see those blue, cruel eyes. Thousands of electric charges ran down my spine. Despite my fear, I couldn't resist and turned to look over my shoulder.