Chapter 2

Author's Note: Beth's flashback will be in italics.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As soon as Beth landed at Cabo San Lucas International Airport, she got inside her rental car & lit up a cigarette.

"That's better," she said. "Thank God I still know how to fucking speak Spanish."

As she drove down the road leading to her hotel, Beth began thinking.

She was entering foreign territory with this trip. She was going to be dealing with an acquisition company that had offices in Mexico City, Cabo San Lucas, Acapulco, & Cancun, & from what her boss & good friend at Highlands Financial, Bryce Cornwall, had told her, they were not be messed with. She wasn't sure about that.

Beth, however, smiled at she reached her hotel. She was afraid of nothing.

However, once she was out of her car & in her hotel room, Beth began to feel uneasy.

She knew that based on what her father John had told her, Jamie now lived in Mexico & was married with a daughter. She had seen the one family photo Jamie had sent John.

Flashback:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth had decided to spent some time with her father after having had a busy day working at home so she brought Sophia with her.

Sophia laughed a big laugh when she saw the Dutton family's longtime cook Gator there.

"You wanna hang out with Uncle Gator while Mama talks with Grandpa?" She asked sweetly. Sophia giggled.

"I'll be more than happy to watch Sophia for you, Beth. She is such a joy to have around," said Gator with a smile.

"She sure is. She is definitely a blessing," said Beth who then kissed her baby on top of her head & handed her over to Gator, who began making silly faces at her.

Beth then strolled into her father's office & saw that he wasn't there.

"That's weird," she muttered. "He said he would be here."

She then found herself looking at the table behind his chair that had several pictures. Some of  her, Lee, Kayce, & Jamie. Even ones of her mother Evelyn.

However, there was one that Beth hadn't seen before that really caught her attention.

It was a picture of Jamie with a beautiful woman & a baby with what looked like the ocean as a backdrop.

"What the fuck is this?" She angrily whispered as she stared the picture that showed Jamie smiling.

Then the rage she felt towards him began to rise to the surface.

"You motherfucker," growled Beth as she picked up the picture.

She was about to throw it against the wall when she a voice say, "BETH! STOP!"

She felt her arm go down as she turned around & saw her father John walk towards her with an angry look on his face.

"What is this, Daddy? Where is it from?" Asked Beth with tears rolling down her face.

"That's a picture of Jamie with his family. He sent it to me from Mexico," said John.

"What the fuck is he doing in Mexico?" Asked Beth.

"Living his life his way. He wants nothing to do with us or this ranch. That picture he sent me came with a note he had written," said John.

"What did it say?" Asked Beth.

John just sighed. He knew that this would be hard.

"It said to enjoy this picture because it's the only time I'll ever see my granddaughter," said John sadly.

"Son of a bitch," muttered Beth as she handed the picture back to John.

"Well, there's nothing I can do about it. Jamie made his choice, & he seems happy," said John.

"You saw him?" Asked Beth.

"Yeah, when I went down to Mexico for that ranchers convention I was telling all of you about," said John. "I visited Jamie in Cabo San Lucas, & he made it clear that he wants nothing to do with this family."

Beth just nodded even though it still bothered her.

John, however, wasn't done though.

"I know you mentioned a business trip to Mexico that you have to go on in a couple of weeks," said John. "I have one piece of advice for you, honey."

"What's that?" Asked Beth.

"Leave Jamie alone," said John.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth was then shaken out of her thoughts by the sound of her phone ringing. She picked up & found herself FaceTiming with Rip & Sophia.

"How's my beautiful family doing?" She asked happily.

"Mama," said Sophia.

"I'll be home soon, baby girl. I promise," said Beth with a smile.

Rip chuckled.

"I know you've only been gone for a couple of hours, but we miss you like crazy, darlin'," said Rip.

"I miss you too. Both of you," said Beth who tried to stifle a yawn.

"You better get some sleep. You probably have a big day tomorrow," said Rip.

"I do. One of several actually," said Beth as she gazed into his eyes.

"I love you, baby," said Rip.

"I love you too," said Beth. "I love you, Sophia."

Sophia cooed & gave her mother a big smile.

Once that conversation ended, Beth showered & went straight to bed.

Tomorrow was going to be quite an event.