Chaper 11

As the weeks went by, everyone at the Yellowstone Dutton Ranch were on high alert & for good reason.

John had just met British real estate developer Thomas Hendricks-Smith at a restaurant in downtown Bozeman & wasn't impressed by him.

During their conversation, John listened as Thomas explained what he intended to do with the ranch if he got it.

"So you're telling me that if you owned my land, you would develop it with condos, apartments, & townhouses," said John.

"That is the plan, Governor Dutton," said Thomas. "Based on what I have seen, Montana continues to grow & evolve. More & more people are calling this place home."

"I am very well aware of that, Mr. Hendricks-Smith," said John who slowly sipped his coffee. "I was governor of this state for four years & saw tremendous growth here."

"Then why are you being so stubborn when it comes to your ranch?" asked Thomas. "You know how much money you could make if you sold it, right?"

"I do, & I don't give a fuck if I'm being honest," said John. "The ranch has been in my family for generations, & I intend to pass it on the next generation,"

Thomas just chuckled.

"If you're so certain of that, then how come you have one son who doesn't want it & another who wants nothing to do with you, your family, & the ranch?" asked Thomas with a smirk.

John frowned. He knew that Thomas had just hit a sore spot.

"Every family has its problems," said John. "Mine is no exception."

"Really?" asked Thomas. "Then how come your son Jamie wants absolutely nothing to do with you?"

John then leaned forward & made his point very clear.

"I know exactly what you're doing," said John. "You're trying to push my buttons, but I'm going to warn you. Anyone who does that will wish that they fucking didn't."

Thomas, however, wasn't fazed.

"If you think threatening me will help you, Governor Dutton," said Thomas. "You're wrong. I always get what I want."

"I don't think so, you fucking piece of shit," said John.

"Well then," said Thomas. "Get ready for me to make not only your life a living hell but your family's as well."

With that, Thomas Hendricks-Smith got up & walked away.

Once he was gone, John grabbed his phone & made a phone call. One that he hoped that he wouldn't regret.

He called Jamie.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jamie, meanwhile, was helping Isabella put up decorations for their niece Camilla's 3rd birthday party.

"I just hope Millie has a great time here, Izzy," said Jamie as he helped put some streamers up.

"I am very certain she will, Jamie," said Isabella with a smile.

Then Jamie's phone rang.

"Oh shit. Not now," Jamie muttered as he went over to the counter of his outdoor kitchen where his phone was.

When he saw who was on his caller in, he didn't pick up. He just let the call go straight to voicemail.

Isabella came up behind Jamie as he listened to his father's message.

"Son, it's Dad. We need you to come back home. Things are getting desperate. Call me back."

Jamie looked over at Isabella & held her close.

"What should I do, babe?" he asked.

"Do you really want to go back?" asked Isabella.

Jamie sighed.

"Honestly, Izzy?" said Jamie. "I don't. I swore to myself that I would never go back there. I will be sucked back into the bullshit that my family finds themselves in because of that ranch if I do go back."

Isabella looked at Jamie sympathetically. She understood how hard this was for him. It was a decision that he didn't want to make.

However, an idea came to him.

Jamie grabbed his phone.

"Who are you calling?" asked Isabella.

"A friend, Izzy," said Jamie with a smile. "A very good friend."