Chapter 15

John frowned as he watched Thomas Hendricks-Smith approach him with a smirk on his face.

"What are you doing here?" asked John.

"Introducing myself to people. I find politics absolutely fascinating," said Thomas.

"I'm sure you do, but I have a feeling that you're trying to get yourself some allies in your attempt to take my land," said John.

"You sure about that, governor?" asked Thomas.

"Yes I am," said John. "None of the politicians you've talked to so far are interested in what you're doing. A couple of them have talked to me about it."

"I can be very persuasive," said Thomas. "They'll see things my way very soon."

"Don't be so sure about that," said John.

The next thing both men knew, Kendall Reese showed up.

"What did I miss?" asked Kendall as she looked at both men curiously.

"Nothing important," said John.

"All right then, Governor Dutton. Let's have that talk you mentioned to me over the phone in my office," said Kendall who then looked at Thomas coldly.

Once in her office, the conversation began.

"This son of a bitch is really getting under my skin, Kendall," said John as soon as he sat down.

"I saw that as soon as I walked over to you," said Kendall. "He is definitely playing games with you."

"Well, he won't fucking win, that's for sure," said John.

"Don't be so sure," said Kendall.

"Care to tell me why?" asked John.

"No, but I'll tell you anyway," said Kendall. "He's already made it his mission to fuck with you so bad that you'll throw in the towel & sell the ranch to him. Look at what he did to Rip. I found out that Hendricks-Smith filed a request through the Freedom of Information Act to get those case records you had sealed years ago. If you're not careful, Beth & Kayce could each be next."

"How?" asked a now concerned John.

"Hendricks-Smith could convince the Securities & Exchange Commission to have Beth investigated for all of her business practices over the years, & he could also have Kayce investigated for things that went down when he was state livestock commissioner," said Kendall. "Both could each end up in jail. Do you want that?"

"I fucking don't want that," said John who was now shaking with anger. "My family means everything to me."

"Does that include Jamie?" asked Kendall.

"Yes it does," said John. "I may have been a shitty father to him, & he may hate my guts, but he is still my son, & I do love him very much."

"Have you told him this?" asked Kendall. John nodded.

"I have. Before he left for Mexico," said John who remembered the painful conversation he & Jamie had at the ranch before Jamie had left.

There was then an awkward silence, which was then interrupted by the sound of someone knocking on Kendall's door.

"Excuse me please," she said as she went to answer her door.

"Thank you, Rich," she then said as she turned around & went back to her desk.

John saw a sheet of paper in her hand as she sat down. It got him curious.

"What is that document if you don't mind me asking, Kendall?" Asked John.

"A message from Sheila," said Kendall.

"About what?" Asked John.

That's when Kendall dropped a bomb on the former Montana governor.

"It's about Rip. She just granted him a full pardon," she said with a smile.