Chapter 18

A week after the Duttons received a phone call from her asking if she could be their lawyer, Maggie Hawthorne had made the trip from Washington, D.C. to Montana to help Kayce clear his name & get the FBI to stop investigating him.

Knowing that she couldn't let it be known that not only had Jamie been the one to call her & tell her what was going on but that she & him had been friends since college, Maggie knew that she was taking a risk.

She, like many of Jamie's closest friends, knew of his issues with his family including what had happened with Beth & Maria.

Still, Maggie knew that despite his many flaws, Jamie was genuinely a good man with a good heart, & she loved him like a brother & would always have his back.

As she approached the Yellowstone Dutton Ranch, Maggie felt herself tense up. Based on what Jamie had told her, John Dutton was very intense & very intimidating. She knew that she had dealt with worse during her law career so she knew she could handle her friend's father.

Once parked in front of the main house, Maggie was greeted by Kayce.

"I'm Kayce Dutton. It's nice to meet you, Miss Hawthorne," he said politely as he shook her hand.

"It's nice to meet you too, Mr. Dutton. Is it all right if we go inside?" Asked Maggie.

"Yes, ma'am," said Kayce who then led her inside the house.

Once inside, Kayce led Maggie to John's office where he was seated behind his desk.

"I'm John Dutton," he said with a smile.

"Maggie Hawthorne. Nice to meet you, sir," she said politely as she shook his hand.

Once they were all seated, John got down to business.

"Let me tell you that my family & I are very thankful that you decided to be our lawyer," said John.

"I appreciate that, Governor Dutton," said Maggie. "I have heard many stories about Thomas Hendricks-Smith & how ruthless he is so when I heard what he's been trying to do with you, I knew that I had to offer my help."

"We thank you for that. It means a lot," said Kayce.

"You obviously know about Thomas Hendricks-Smith & his methods," said John. "Is there any legal way we can get the FBI to stop investigating my son?"

"There is, but it will take a little time," said Maggie.

"How much time?" asked John.

"It depends on how quickly the motion I intend to file goes through," said Maggie.

"I understand that, Miss Hawthorne," said John.

Maggie then found herself looking over at Kayce & saw the sad look on his face.

"Kayce, I am going to do all I can to clear your name," said Maggie.

"I appreciate that," said Kayce. "I'm just more worried about my family. My wife is very upset about this. Both my kids are scared for me. I fucking hate what this is doing to them"

"I understand that," said Maggie with a reassuring smile. "I'm a wife & mom myself so I understand how you're feeling."

John smiled as he watched the interaction between Kayce & Maggie. He had a feeling that she was the right person to help them.

"I'm going to get to work as quickly as I can," said Maggie. "I'll file the motion to stop the investigation & let you know how it goes."

"Sounds great. Thank you," said John gratefully.

Once Maggie was gone, Beth showed up.

"Was that the new attorney I just saw leaving?" She asked curiously. John nodded.

"It was. She's headed to the federal courthouse in Great Falls to file a motion," said John. "I have a good feeling about her."

"I hope that good feeling is spot on, Dad," said Beth who then left to go be with Rip & Sophia.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Back in Mexico, Jamie was at home waiting for a phone call from Maggie.

He got it right away.

"How did it go, Mags?" Asked Jamie.

"Pretty well. I think I impressed your father," said Maggie who was in her rental car.

"What are you doing now?" Asked Jamie.

"Headed to Great Falls to file that motion in federal court," said Maggie.

"Good because I want Kayce's name to be cleared just as badly as everyone else in my family does," said Jamie.

"I'll get it done, Jamie. I promise," said Maggie.

"You're the best, MAgs. Thank you," he said smiling.

Isabella then showed up after Jamie's phone call.

"Is everything good, mi amor?" She asked.

"Couldn't be better, Izzy. Then again, something could happen," said Jamie as he took her hand in his.

"You know that you have me & our family if that happens," said Isabella with a reassuring smile.

"I know, & I love you for that," said Jamie as he gave her a sweet kiss.

Still as the kiss deepened between the two of them, something was happening.

Something big.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Author's Note: here's a picture of Isabella(it's actually actress Kate del Castillo)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Author's Note: here's a picture of Isabella(it's actually actress Kate del Castillo)