Chapter 17

Jamie stood there in shock at the news of Kayce being investigated by the FBI.

Sure, he knew that there were those in Helena who had objected to Kayce being appointed Montana State livestock commissioner after John had resigned & had openly expressed their opinion to various newspapers across the state, but Jamie honestly didn't think that it would come to this.

However, he suspected one person had something to do with this investigation, & he knew exactly who it was.

"Does my father know about this yet, Teddy?" Asked Jamie angrily.

"Not that I know of," said Ted. "However, Kyle is looking into it. He'll try & find out if Thomas Hendricks-Smith had something to do with it."

"Good," said Jamie. "I may have major issues with my family, but I would never wish this on them."

"Not even Beth?" Asked Ted.

"Not even her, dude. No matter how much I hate her," said Jamie.

"I understand, bud," said Ted. "We'll get this figured out & taken care of."

"I know we will, Teddy," said Jamie.

After that phone call, Jamie went to his home office & made a phone call to someone he knew very well.

A friend in Washington, D.C.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Meanwhile, Kayce was freaking out over what was happening.

"I can't fucking believe this," he muttered as he sat at the dining room table with his head in his hands.

"It caught me off guard too, son," said John. "I wish there was something I could do about it."

"Well, you can't, Dad," said Kayce. "This is the FBI we're talking about. You can't convince them to stop this."

"I know, & I hate the fact that there is nothing I can do about it," said John.

"You can't threaten them, sir, & even if you did, they would investigate you as well," said Rip.

"I know that," said John. "I would rather take action now to stop this, but because of how fucking serious this is, we have no choice but to do nothing."

Then silence fell over the dining room even after Gator had come in to refill everyone's coffee.

Then something came to John, & he didn't like it.

"I may have to do something that I shouldn't do," said John.

"What's that, sir?" Asked Rip.

"Call Jamie," said John with a frown.

Kayce shook his head.

"You know how he feels, Dad," said Kayce. "Also if Beth were here right now instead of at work, she would be talking shit about him right now."

"I know that, son, but I feel like I don't have a choice in this right now," said John.

Then the phone rang. All three men looked at each other.

"I'll get it," said John who took his cup of coffee & went to his office.

Kayce & Rip watched as they noticed John pacing a bit behind his desk as he listened intently on what was being said on the other end of the line.

"Any guesses on to who Dad's talking to?" Asked Kayce.

"Don't know, but I hope it's a lawyer," said Rip.

Then John came back.

"That was a lawyer in Washington, D.C." said John. "Her name is Maggie Hawthorne, & she has decided to represent us." (Author's Note: here's Maggie, Jamie's friend)

"I wonder how she found out about what's going on with us," said Kayce

"I don't know, but I'm glad she's going to be our lawyer," said John.

Now all they had to do was wait for Maggie & then get to work on clearing Kayce's name.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Meanwhile, Jamie had just gotten off the phone with Christina talking about her & JJ's next visit when his phone rang.

"Hello?......Hi, Maggie. Did my family accept your help?" said Jamie. "That's great....OK......no, don't worry about it. Just help Kayce, OK?....all right. Talk to you soon." After that, he hung up.

"Thank God," he muttered as he headed over to his & Isabella's bedroom where he would take a nap.

As he fell asleep, Jamie had a good feeling about what he had done.