Chapter 6

The following afternoon, Beth landed at Great Falls International Airport & made her way home with many thoughts running through her head.

As she made the nearly 2 hour drive from Great Falls to the Yellowstone Dutton Ranch, Beth thought about why her business trip to Mexico had been cut short.

Based on an email she had received from Bryce Cornwall while she was flying back, Beth had learned that Market Equities,  or rather what was left of it, was sticking their nose in where it didn't belong, & it involved the ranch.

Beth knew that Bryce only had the information that he felt that she needed to hear. She knew that John would give her the rest.

Once she saw the ranch's trademark Y logo, Beth knew that she was home.

She headed straight to the main house so that she could talk to John.

Once inside, she headed straight to his office where he greeted her with a hug.

"Glad you're back, Beth. I take it Bryce told you what's going on?" He asked.

"He did, but I suspect you may have some info yourself, Dad," said Beth.

"I do. Wanna hear it?" Asked John. Beth nodded.

"Here it is. Market Equities is, in a way, back in business & is working with a very wealthy real estate developer," said John.

"Ah fuck," grumbled Beth who hated dealing with real estate developers.

"I know, honey, I know," said John. "Here's the big problem though. This developer has developed properties in California, New York, Florida, & even in Mexico & Brazil. From what I've heard, he's ruthless & someone you don't fuck with."

"You're making this person sound like he's a part of the Mafia, Dad," said Beth.

John just chuckled. Then he got serious again.

"He's interested in this place," said John. Beth just rolled her eyes.

"Doesn't surprise me at all, Dad. Pretty much any developer that comes to Montana sees this place & sees dollar signs," said Beth.

"I don't doubt that, honey, but based on what your friend Bryce told me, this fucker will do anything to get this place, & his methods are way worse then others we've dealt with before in the past," said John.

"So what do we do?" Asked Beth.

John looked at her solemnly.

"We can't bring Jamie into this," said John.

"Why? He is still a lawyer, isn't he?" Asked Beth. John shook his head.

"He let his law license expire so he can't practice law here in Montana," said John. "I talked to his friend Gregory Hooks after the election, & he told me that Jamie had no interest in going back to being a lawyer."

"Damn," muttered Beth.

"Before you ask, Beth, I did ask Sheila to see if she could help, but all she could tell me was that she was going to try," said John who was referring to Montana governor Sheila Fairchild.

"Well, it's better than nothing," said Beth.

"I agree. Now head on home, Beth. Rip & Sophia are waiting for you," said John with a smile.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Back in Mexico, Jamie was at his office at Halcon Acquisitions looking over some stuff.

With the company making significant progress especially in the United States, Jamie felt good with giving his vote at the next board meeting.

After that, he headed home.

However, a surprise awaited him when he got there.