Chapter 14

Kendall was completely overjoyed over seeing Jamie. She hadn't seen him in 2 & a half years ever since she & her husband Jack had gone down to Mexico for Jamie & Isabella's wedding.

"So good to see you, Jamie

"So good to see you, Jamie. What brings you back to Montana, my friend?" asked Kendall as she & Jamie let go of each other so she could close her office door.

"Business," answered Jamie.

"Does this 'business' involve Thomas Hendricks-Smith?" asked Kendall. Jamie nodded.

"That's good because I just got some more files on him this morning," said Kendall.

"What did you find out about him, Kenny?" asked Jamie.

"He's ruthless as fuck & will destroy anyone who gets in his way," said Kendall. "Looks like he's already gotten started with your brother-in-law."

"I know. Kyle Lansky told me when he FaceTimed me last week," said Jamie.

"There's more. He's got some lawsuits pending against him," said Kendall.

"Where?" asked Jamie.

"California. Primarily Southern California," said Kendall.

"Los Angeles?" asked Jamie. Kendall shook her head.

"Orange County. Anaheim to be exact," said Kendall.

"What happened?" asked Jamie.

"His company bought 2 duplexes to renovate so they could sell them," said Kendall. "Two people died when those duplexes collapsed. The investigation found multiple problems including structural damage. The families filed wrongful death lawsuits, but those cases are on hold."

"Why do you think that is, Kenny?" asked Jamie.

"Well, money can buy you many things including ways to avoid any consequences," said Kendall.

"God damn," muttered Jamie.

"I know. Your family can only hope that Sheila can help them," said Kendall.

"I hope she does. I can't let myself get sucked into that shit," said Jamie. "Besides they don't even know that I'm here in Montana."

"It's best that they don't know," said Kendall who knew all about Jamie's issues with his family due to her & him having been best friends since high school.

"If they find out that I'm here, Kenny," said Jamie.

"I know, Jamie, I know," said Kendall who put her hand on his. "Your father & the rest of them will pull you in & won't let you go. Beth will do everything she can to tear you to pieces."

"I know that. That's why I'm going to help them without them knowing that I'm doing it," said Jamie. "I talked with Izzy about it, & she's worried, which I don't blame her for, but she knows that I have to do this."

"I get it too, Jamie," said Kendall. "Your family doesn't need to know that you're helping them. I'll do what I can to make sure that they don't find out."

"Thanks, Kenny," said Jamie with a smile.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Meanwhile, John was making his way to Helena to talk with Kendall about Thomas Hendricks-Smith.

However, just as John was making his way into Helena, Jamie had just left the city & was on his way to Great Falls where he would board a private jet owned by Halcon Acquisitions & head home to Mexico.

As soon as John got into the Capital, he was greeted by a surprise & not a good one.

Thomas Hendricks-Smith was there.