i open up a restaurant

Something pecked me on the head. In the middle of the night.

I just got back from watching Jhaufyther and his family go nuts. I opened my eyes and saw yellow eyes stare at me.

I found myself on the other end of the room half a second later, sweating profusely.

Koa hopped on the bed until he faced me.

"What the hell?" I demanded.

Sorry, he said. But your reaction was funny.

"In the middle of the night?" I exclaimed. "While I'm trying to sleep?!"

Check, and check. Also, do you have any granola bars? I'm kinda hungry.

"You're thinking about food NOW, after nearly scaring me to death?"

Pretty much. Anyways, where are the sweet grains?

"Can you try to keep it down?" I asked. "Bri is sleeping in the next room."

Kaia's here too, he said in a lower tone of voice.

A brown bird poked her head out from behind some blinds. Hi.

"How did you guys get in here?"

Open window, Kaia said, using her foot to point at it.

I rubbed my eyes. "Look, guys. Can you wait until morning?"

They looked at each other, then Koa replied Alright. See ya!

I need something softer, Kaia said.

I got out a laundry basket that had a bunch of blankets. I created a little depression in the center, then put a spare pillow in it. "Try that."

She flew over and settled herself into the pillow. Oh, that's perfect. Thank you!

I already have Carlos's chest to sleep on, Koa said.

I didn't say anything. All I did was lay down in my bed, while a bird rested on my chest.

Morning came, and Koa tapped me with his foot.

"Alright, yes, I'll get you your bar," I muttered. "Wait here."

The top floors of the building served as apartments. It was five floors worth of it; my friends and I occupied the highest one.

All the members slept in the lower ones, but there's one giant kitchen that every apartment connects to.

Mike, also being a wonderful chef, was cooking up something delicious.

"Morning, boss," he said when he saw me.

"Morning, Mike. What's breakfast for today?"

"Omelet, topped with herbs like basil. Has a side of bacon, but there's an option of cheese."

"That sounds good. Do you have any granola bars?"

He pointed at the pantry with his spatula. "Bird friends?"

"Tell me about it," I grumbled. "Koa woke me up by tapping my head with his beak. Nearly gave me a heart attack."

He laughed. "I love the little buggers; they helped Bri find her missing sock."

"True. Thanks, Mike!"

"Breakfast will be ready at 9:30," he reminded me. "Make sure to bring the birds."

"I will." Thanking him once again, I went back to my room, where the birds were waiting patiently.

Koa's eyes lit up when he saw his food. Yoo, you brought it.