16

Warning: This chapter might contain scenes that depict suicide, trauma, and other sensitive topics that may be distressing for some readers. Reader discretion is advised.

Chapter 16: Daughter

"I don't. Even if I die right now, I will never marry this man in front of me," she stated with his serious voice upon staring at Declan's confused eyes.

The atmosphere became gloomy the moment Ophelia's remark in front of everyone.

Her eyes are inflamed with anger and contempt towards the man in front of her.

"L-Love, what are you talking?" Mahinang tanong ni Declan nang inilapit nito ang sarili kay Ophelia.

But she only looked at him as if he's nothing but a mere stranger, again. She's doing it again.

Ano ba'ng nasa utak ng dalaga at bigla siyang naging ganito? They were okay yesterday. She accepted his marriage proposal and even promised, once again, that she'll no longer leave.

Declan, who tried to calm himself with his woman's sudden outburst, tightly held her hands, as if pleading for her to cut her nonsense. He even lowered his face to equal their height, trying to dig deeper into Ophelia's mind.

But Ophelia averted her gaze to the judge in front of them.

"Judge, no wedding will happen today. I will never marry him." At mabilis na inagaw ang kaniyang kamay mula sa binatang halos hindi na maipinta ang mukha sa sakit na nararamdaman.

"You're playing games with me, right? The judge's still here, we can still be marr—" Halos tumabingi ang ulo ng binata nang bigla siyang sampalin nang napakalakas ni Ophelia.

The slap is so strong that it echoes onto everyone's ear.

Kahit si Casimir ay mabilis na napatayo sa nasaksihan. Hindi sumagi sa utak nito na magiging ganito ang kahihinatnan ng kaniyang pinsan.

"Ophelia, you're being too much!" Sabat ni Casimir.

He's starting to hold a grudge to Ophelia. Hindi na rin nito nagustuhan ang naging ugali. Kahit noon pa man, hindi boto si Casimir kay Ophelia para kay Declan dahil masyado nitong pinapahirapan ang buhay ng pinsan.

"Oh, really? Fuck you—Get off me!" Hindi natapos ni Ophelia ang pakikipagsagutan kay Casimir nang bigla siyang hawakan ni Declan sa braso at hinila palayo sa naturang lugar. "Ano ba?! Get off me, Alaric!"

"Let's talk," walang emosyong saad ni Declan habang hila-hila pa rin ito at kaagad binitawan nang marating nila ang pinakadulo ng beach.

There, they could shout without anyone noticing them. They could drop their lines without anyone meddling.

Kapansin-pansin pa rin ang pamumula ng pisngi ni Declan dahil sa sampal.

He took her away from the crowd for he doesn't want anyone to judge Ophelia.

He knows she has her reasons, and he's holding on to that reason.

"I've changed my mind. I will not marry you," pagputol ni Ophelia sa katahimikan gamit ang kaniyang nanlilisik na tingin na tila isa lamang iyong walang kwentang diskusyon.

She even diverted her gaze elsewhere, making sure na hindi nito makasalubong ang titig ng binata.

Declan, on the other hand, became as solid as ice. Hindi ito nagpakita ng emosyon habang igting na igting ang kaniyang panga. Nagmistulang manhid ito sa mga salitang binitawan ni Ophelia kanina.

"And do you think you can do that? I said once, and now thrice. You can't leave here without carrying my surname. You can't just change your mind just like that 'coz we're not playing he—"