Chapter Two

🖤🖤

🖤🖤

GILDEROY LOCKHART WAS CERTAINLY AN INTERESTING PROFESSOR

Rosie had her doubts about him right from the start. As much as she wanted to give every teacher a fair chance, something about Lockhart didn't sit right with her. Maybe it was the way he constantly boasted about his achievements, or maybe it was how every girl in class seemed to swoon over him instead of focusing on the subject matter, but what irked her most was the nagging feeling that he wasn't nearly as competent as he claimed to be. She knew it wasn't her place to make that call, but still, the thought lingered. Defence Against the Dark Arts had always been one of her favourite subjects — fascinating, complex, and, above all, important. Having spent hours in the library pouring over books about dark curses, forbidden spells, and counter-jinxes. Rosie was more than prepared to take the class seriously. Not that she'd ever use any of those dark spells herself, but knowledge was power. You never knew what you might need it.

As she sat in class, trying her best to tune out Lockhart's endless rambling, her friend Stacey nudged her, whispering loudly in her ear, "Just imagine how attractive he must've been when he was younger. I mean, he's still hot now, but god —"

Rosie barely stifled an eye roll. Stacey had been her friend for as long as she could remember, but sometimes, their priorities couldn't be more different. While Rosie was deeply focused on her studies, Stacey had always been more boy-orientated and loved a good party. It wasn't that Rosie didn't care about having fun, but there was a time and a place, and Defence Against the Dark Arts class wasn't it.

"What are you talking about, Stace?" Rosie asked, trying not to sound too exasperated as she shot her friend a glance.

"You weren't even listening, were you?" Stacey replied, folding her arms and giving Rosie a pointed look.

Rosie sighed, "Sorry, what were you saying?"

"I was saying," Stacey began, her tone slightly irritated, "how absolutely gorgeous Lockhart is. Honestly, I bet he was a heartbreaker back in his day."

Rosie didn't bother to hide her lack of interest. As much as she adored Stacey, Rosie could not care less about how attractive her friend found Lockhart. In fact, she thought the man's constant bragging made him less appealing. Her thoughts drifted again, her attention pulled back to Lockhart, who was in the middle of recounting a story about how he once defeated a banshee.