Chapter Seventeen

🖤🖤

🖤🖤

IT WAS FREEZING COLD

The wind howled through the ancient stone corridors of Hogwarts, rattling the windows and sending shivers down the spines of the students who were hurrying to their dorm rooms. Rosie pulled her cloak tighter around herself, the warmth of the fabric doing little to ward off the cold winter chill. While she had enjoyed spending Christmas with Tom, as the new year approached, she realised a part of her missed her friendship with Stacey.

Rosie's thoughts were interrupted as she rounded the corner near the library, nearly bumping into Stacey herself. For a moment, they both froze, the tension between them almost tangible. Rosie's breath caught in her throat, unsure of what to say or how to react, but Stacey spoke first, her voice soft and tinged with regret.

"Rosie ... can we talk?"

Rosie hesitated, her mind racing with memories of their last argument, but then she nodded, something in Stacey's eyes telling her that this conversation was different. They walked together in silence, finding a secluded spot in the courtyard, where the snow-covered benches offered a place to sit and talk without being overheard.

"I broke up with Marco," Stacey began, her voice barely above a whisper. The admission in the air, a weighty confession that made Rosie's heart ache. "I know now that I was wrong to believe him over you. I'm sorry, Rosie. I should have trusted you."

Rosie looked at Stacey, seeing the genuine remorse in her eyes. It was like a dam breaking inside her, the hurt and anger she'd been holding onto suddenly releasing in a rush of emotion. She reached out, taking Stacey's hand in hers, and gave it a reassuring squeeze.

"It's okay," Rosie said, her voice steady despite the lump in her throat. "I'm just glad you're here now."

Stacey's eyes welled with tears, but she blinked them away, a small, relieved smile tugging at her lips. "I missed you," she admitted. "Things haven't been the same without you."

"I missed you too," Rosie replied, her own smile forming. The two of them sat in companionable silence for a few moments, letting the bond between them start to mend.