Chapter Thirty Two

🖤🖤

🖤🖤

THE AIR IN THE DIMLY LIT ROOM WAS THICK WITH ANTICIPATION, THE KIND THAT CLUNG TO YOUR SKIN AND SEEPED INTO YOUR BONES

It was the kind of tension that Rosie had become all too familiar with. Sitting on the edge of a threadbare couch in their little cottage, she fiddled nervously with the hem of her shirt. The only sound in the room was the steady ticking of a clock on the mantelpiece, marking the passage of time with unrelenting precision.

Tom, who had once been the boy who outshone everyone at Hogwarts, now stood by the window, staring out at the bleak March sky. His tall frame was tense, his sharp features set in a contemplative frown. Though it had been over a year and a half since they had left the hallowed halls of Hogwarts, the weight of their circumstances had aged them both beyond their years.

Rosie's eyes darted to Tom's back, the familiar knot of anxiety tightening in her chest. She had been dreading this moment for weeks, ever since the faintest hint of life had made itself known within her. It wasn't supposed to be like this. They were supposed to be free, unburdened by the chains of the past. But here they were, haunted by shadows that refused to fade.

Tom finally turned, his intense gaze meeting hers, "Are you ready?"

Rosie swallowed, her mouth suddenly dry. She nodded, unable to find her voice.

Tom moved to sit beside her, the sofa dipping under his weight. He took her hand, his fingers cool but reassuring. The strength in his grip was a reminder that she wasn't alone, not entirely. Yet, the knowledge did little to ease the turmoil roiling inside her.

With a flick of his wand, Tom conjured a small, glowing orb in the air between them. It pulsed with a soft, ethereal light that bathed the room in an otherworldly glow. Rosie watched, transfixed, as the light expanded, enveloping them in a cocoon of warmth.

"It's time," Tom said, his voice low and steady.

Rosie nodded again, her heart pounding in her chest. She knew what to expect, yet the anticipation was almost unbearable. As the light intensified, it shifted in hue, turning a soft pink. A girl. She was having another girl. A sense of calm washed over her, despite the fear gnawing at the edges of her consciousness.