Chapter Twenty Three

🖤🖤

🖤🖤

THE DAMP CORRIDORS OF HOGWARTS SEEMED TO STRECH ENDLESSLY BEFORE ROSIE AS SHE TRUDGED THROUGH THEM, HER FOOTSTEPS ECHOING SOFTLY IN THE DIM LIGHT

The once familiar and comforting walls of the castle now felt like a prison closing in on her. She hadn't been to her morning classes in nearly a week, skipping out on Potions, Transfigurations, and even Charms — subjects she'd once excelled in.

Her hand instinctively went to her stomach, brushing against the slightly swollen bump that was beginning to show under her robes, and she was glad the robes still kept the bump concealed. If anyone noticed, she lied and just told them she had just gained a little weight. Morning sickness had hit her hard over the past few weeks, but it wasn't just the nausea that kept her from class. It was the gnawing fear, the crippling anxiety that came with every glance in the mirror, every whisper she overheard in the halls. She was falling behind, and she knew it, but the thought of facing her peers, her professors, and most of all, Tom, was too much to bear.

She hadn't spoken to Tom since the break-up, and though she'd caught glimpses pf him in the halls or in the Great Hall, they'd been just that — fleeting glimpses. He was always surrounded by others, immersed in conversations or his own thoughts, never once looking in her direction. It was as if she no longer existed in his world, and perhaps she didn't. The weight of that realisation was crushing.

Rosie walked through the empty corridors, avoiding the bustling main hallways where she would undoubtedly run into classmates on their way to their next lesson. She didn't want to see the pity in their eyes or worse, the curiosity. Instead, she made her way to one of the lesser-known courtyards, where she could sit in solitude and try to collect her thoughts.

The cold stone bench did little to warm her as she sat down, pulling her robes tighter around her. The sun was hidden behind thick clouds, casting the courtyard in a dull, grey light that matched her mood. She sighed, her breath visible in the chilly air. She knew she couldn't keep avoiding her responsibilities, but every time she tried to focus on her studies, her mind drifted to the life growing inside her, the life she had to protect.