Chapter Ten

🖤🖤

🖤🖤

ROSIE COULDN'T SLEEP

No matter how much she tossed and turned, her mind refused to quiet down. Thoughts of the Petrified students haunted her — faces frozen in terror, lifeless bodies still like statues, unable to move or speak. Then there was the Chamber of Secrets, the eerie whispers in the halls, and the fear gripping the entire school. It all churned in her head like a storm. After Tom had left her dorm earlier, she had tried to rest, but sleep was impossible. Her thoughts spiralled, refusing to settle. With a heavy sigh, she opened her eyes and stared at the dark ceiling, listening to the quiet hum of the castle at night.

Suddenly, a thought struck her like a bolt of lightning. The Mandrakes!

Rosie sat up abruptly, her heart racing as a realisation dawned. She threw back the covers and grabbed the textbook on her nightstand, flipping it open to the section on Mandrake root. Her hands shook slightly as she read over the words. There it was — Mandrake Restorative Draught, a powerful healing potion that could reverse transfigurations or curse-induced transformations. Her breath quickened. Could it work on those who had been Petrified? The more she read, the more convinced she became. If the potion could restore people back to their original state, there was no reason it shouldn't work on the students.

Without a second thought, she slammed the book shut, grabbed her shoes, and threw on a cloak. She knew it was well past curfew — dangerous even, considering the fear that had gripped the castle with the rumours of a monster lurking in the shadows — but she couldn't ignore the gnawing sense that this might be the answer. The Petrified students were running out of time. She slipped out of her dorm, moving quickly but carefully through the dimly lit corridors, her heart pounding in her chest.

She sprinted down the familiar path toward Professor Sprout's quarters, skidding to a halt when she reached the door. Rosie raised her hand and knocked urgently, her breath coming in shallow gasps. Moments later, the door opened to reveal Professor Sprout, looking bleary-eyed and confused.

"Miss Hart?" She said, blinking at her in surprise. "It's after curfew. You shouldn't be wandering around at this hour, especially with everything going on."