Chapter Twenty Eight

🖤🖤

🖤🖤

THE WARM GLOW OF THE FIRE IN THE SHOP CAST FLICKERING SHADOWS ACROSS THE SHELVES, PAINTING ROWS OF DUSTY TOMES AND MAGICAL ARTEFACTS IN SHADES OF AMBER

Rosie sat quietly, her thoughts a tangled web of memories and regrets, as she watched the flames dance in the hearth. The small shop in Hogsmeade had become her sanctuary, a place where she could disappear into the quiet routine of her work, surrounded by things that reminded her of simpler times. But no matter how many days passed in the cosy stillness of the shop, she could never fully escape the weight of her past.

Outside, the autumn air was crisp and cool, carrying with it the sounds of Hogwarts students milling about the village, their laughter and chatter a reminder of a life Rosie had left behind. She could hear them in the distance, their voices floating on the wind, but it was the memory of someone else's voice — Tom's — that haunted her most. It had been months since she had last seen him, since she had turned down his proposal and walked away from the life they could have had together. And though she tried to push him from her thoughts, he lingered there, always.

The bell above the door jingled softly, pulling Rosie from her thoughts. She looked up, her heart momentarily catching in her throating, expecting — no, hoping — that it might be him. But instead of the familiar figure she longed to see, a different face appeared in the doorway, one that brought with it a flood of warmth and nostalgia.

"Genevieve?" Rosie's voice wavered, barely above a whisper, as she saw her sister standing in the doorway of the small Hogsmeade shop. Genevieve's brown hair was windswept, her cheeks flushed pink from the chilly wind outside. She smiled, but there was a hesitance in her eyes, as though she wasn't sure of the reception she would receive.

"Surprise," Genevieve said softly, stepping into the warmth of the shop, her eyes scanning the cosy room before finally resting on Rosie.

Rosie stood frozen for a moment, overwhelmed by the sight of her sister. She hadn't seen her since Genevieve had come to visit her back in January and Rosie had missed her sister like crazy. Genevieve had always been the only one who understood, the only one Rosie had kept in touch with. But now, seeing her in person again, the months apart felt like years.