Married Life in London

After two blissful weeks ensconced in the peaceful countryside of Aubrey Hall, Anthony and Penelope had returned to the hustle and bustle of London society. While the transition was jarring after their extended marital retreat, they were determined to uphold their duties and responsibilities befitting their new roles.

For Anthony, that meant long hours sequestered in his study, meticulously overseeing the mountain of correspondence, ledgers and legal documents that came with managing the Bridgerton family's vast wealth and properties. As Viscount, he was the chief patriarch, and such weighty matters could not be neglected overlong.

Penelope, however, found her days full in an entirely different way. She divided her time between assisting her new mother-in-law Violet with running the Bridgerton household, learning from the matriarch on the finer points of being the lady of the manor, and doting on Anthony's younger siblings who clamored relentlessly for her cherished company.

Then there were the commitments to her own family, the Featheringtons – aiding her mother Portia with overseeing Phillipa's impending confinement due to her pregnancy, and preparations for Prudence's rapidly approaching nuptials with Mister Robert Huxley. Penelope's mornings and afternoons were quite consumed darting between the Bridgerton townhouse and the Featherington estate just across the square.

It was only in the evenings that the new Viscountess Bridgerton could finally carve out a few precious hours for herself. More often than not, Anthony would find her ensconced in a private alcove of the Bridgerton library, curled up on a chaise lounge with her nose buried deep in the latest novel or academic text. The soft glow of candlelight caressed her delicate features, lending an almost ethereal quality to her beauty.

On this particular night, Anthony paused in the archway for a moment, tenderness squeezing his heart at the serene picture his wife made. Only when he cleared his throat lightly did Penelope stir, her lips curving in a warm smile of greeting.

"Good evening, my love." She called out softly. "Have you finally completed the endless mounds of paperwork for today?"

Anthony crossed the room in long strides, perching on the edge of the lounge and enveloping her hands in his larger ones. "Indeed, the tedious estate business is tended to for now." He murmured, pressing a worshipful kiss to her knuckles. "And with great relief, I might add. Such matters are a poor substitute for your enchanting company, my dearest."

Penelope's melodious chuckle filled his senses like the most intoxicating music. "You do flatter me so, my lord." She teased lightly. "Though I fully understand your duties require much of your attentions. I am content enough that we can share our nights together as husband and wife."

Her candid confession made Anthony's chest constrict ardently. Truly, he did not deserve this brilliant, emphatic creature who somehow grasped the weight of his responsibilities without resentment.

Unable to resist the tender longing filling his heart, Anthony cradled Penelope's face in his calloused palms and claimed her lips in a searching, soulful kiss. She melted against him with a soft moan, pliant and trusting in his embrace as his tongue delicately traced the seam of her lips until she opened for him.

They lost themselves in the heady onslaught of sensation - Penelope's fingers skating across the hard planes of Anthony's chest, his hands roaming the lush curves of her body, kindling scorching need in their wake. When they finally parted, chests heaving and eyes glazed with banked desire, Anthony pressed his brow to hers reverently.

"An understanding wife indeed." He rasped gruffly. "Yet I confess I sometimes fear my devotions are too wholly consumed by the duties of my position... and not enough upon lavishing the devotion you deserve, my love."