CHAPTER SEVEN: THE CALL

Katherine disliked me, and maybe I disliked her too. We weren't in the same clique, but she felt and acted like she knew everything about me. Katherine never welcomed me into the game, she liked to act like a boss even though she was just a hooker like me. The other girls tried talking me into perseverance;
"Give her time, she doesn't get acquainted with new people easily... who wouldn't like a cool girl like you?" Said Nathalie, trying to brighten up the moment.

A-lot of time had gone by, Katherine hated me even more and picked huge fights with me at small offenses; her anger was quite unquantifiable.
"See as you waka from your ghetto, come enter my own ghetto- come Dey follow me struggle boss Abi?
You no get shame, you Dey carry your boss client Dey waka baah?" Said Katherine, pulling my hair during one of our wild physical arguments.

Nathalie was my closest friend even though she wasn't so much of a real person. Did I mention anything about fake people and their activities at the early beginning? Oh, yes I did; and dear Nathalie was among the fake ones. Her real name was Chimamanda, but she changed her name to Nathalie to "help her fit into the job"; but even in her lack of originality- come rain and high waters, she was always true to me... she was a friend and sister- we shared huge dirty secrets within ourselves, in fact, I'd rather drink hot water enough to bake garri (Eba) than show the world conversations between Nathalie and myself.

Nathalie went missing for a couple of days; last we spoke, she said she had an appointment with a politician and she aimed on cashing out with this one.

"He needs to sign a contract, accepting to sponsor my siblings and i through school and also cover my father's bone marrow transplant surgery fees, otherwise, I won't be his side chick and bad bitch" said excited Nathalie, In between our discussion- she was so happy for the rich client she had found and promised to quit prostitution once the huge fish fell for her bait.
I was genuinely happy for her even though her absence made me annoyed and kind of jealous that she went on a vacation with her sugar daddy without even inviting me to tag along.

Nathalie's body was later found afloat in the popular Obi Omimi river. Since her head, breasts and private parts were cut out of her body- the only way I could identify her was through the tattoo of a caged dove she had on her left thigh.

Nathalie fed her family with the money she earned from prostitution, although her parents had no idea the kind of work she did; they were happy anyway that Nathalie wasn't as useless as her elder siblings who abandoned home. She's dead now, and the funny thing about life is that it always goes on- now, with or without Nathalie, her family still fed.

I cried for her, I cried tears from my heart's depth. My friend's death was painful, everyone in the hood felt it! The news carried it; but still, nothing was done... I mean, how on Earth could a dead or living prostitute drag a politician for murder...or anything at all? Nathalie was gone and that didn't mean the world had to pause.

This was a wake up call for me, I needed to be gentle with myself... I was sure doing my best.
One more thing... I needed to leave here; I needed to get off these streets before someone decides to make me lifeless.

...and I knew, whether or not I was in the streets, Ekene still had his eyes out for me.

CHAPTER END
All hustle na hustle right? But, no be every hustle be good hustle- I apologize if that was judgmental. I know we're faced with life threatening situations that give us less of an option; the kind of things to venture into...trust me I have been in such heels, but not to worry- it's all gonna be fine.

How did you like this story?
Please read, share, vote and don't forget to comment on my story. Thanks