CHAPTER NINE; HUNTED

Three years sped in a flash, and just like you all; I was surprised I still succeeded in the super market job. I just had to survive- after all, existing is the only remedy to dying.

The branch of the supermarket I worked in was situated at the outskirts of Obi- Omimi. I had a 30% chance of getting noticed or traced by anyone from my past. In the course of three years, I was able to make a good name for myself- in fact, I got a promotion even though I didn't meet up to the requirements of that category. I was now a cashier in the supermarket with a triple increment of my previous salary, my boss said I deserved it because of my dedication, honesty and hard-work.

              My boss- Sir Jacob was the pioneer of the Golden-Bay supermarket, he was wealthy and did very well for himself, he had his supermarket planted in five distinctive zones of Obi-Omimi and even had other plants in the big cities. Above all, he had a family... his wife is a successful doctor who barely had the time to be at home- making Sir Jacob live like a bachelor, without the presence of their two kids who schooled abroad.

              My boss and I were very close, he celebrated my twenty-first birthday at work; there was cake, enough to share amongst the staff and some customers who were present at the supermarket. Most of my co-employees envied me because of my boss's obvious preference. Most times, I am forced to believe that I was promoted and preferred out of pity. When I lost the job at the restaurant, I forwarded a text message to Sir Jacob- requesting for an appointment with him the following day. Once my request was approved; I went to him- narrating the events of my past live.

"I used to be a prostitute sir, a very popular one.
Forgive my utterances, but you must know that within my depths- I am graced with an overflow of mortification." I said stuttering

"I have watched pearls turn into stones,
I have felt pain enough to cause a war,
I was chained and held captive in a drought called "life".
I was eaten up! I was left cold,
Freezing- until my eyes were covered with ice.

I know I should have been wiser and stronger,
It's no doubt that I am shivering on this icy floor,
I should have chosen the light; I should have remained clean and humid.
I was and still am- surrounded by prison walls,
The dark path I chose got the better part of me,
What's the worse the world could do that haven't been done yet?"  I said in confusion, I was being hit with too much- too fast.

"All I am saying sir, is- I've left my old life; I am a changed person... but every bad thing I've done is coming back to hunt me. My past might arrive at your supermarket door faster or later than expected, so- I'd like to quit now sir, I wouldn't like to get trapped in another earthquake." I said before weeping like a child who had impersonated an adult.

"Everyone has a negative past, we can run and change from the lifestyle we were once used to ... what we can't do is avoid being hunted; after all, what goes around comes around, right?" Sir Jacob said before smiling and laughing with his whole mouth left ajar.

I couldn't believe how happy I had become. It was all too good to be true. I worked hard, leaving no stone unturned and returned home each day blue in the face, but more accomplished and fulfilled- bearing in mind that my parents were also watching my progress.

I found some love for myself and those around me. I had learnt to cherish my job, my boss, co-workers and most importantly... I had learnt to cherish myself.

There's this statement Nathalie always made,
"If God brings you to it. He will bring you through it". I believed every word!

CHAPTER END

"If God brings you to it. He will bring you through it". I believed every word!
~crazy faith Esomchi had... even though her fate was something different.

Don't forget to read, follow, vote and comment on this chapter. Thank you.