CHAPTER TEN; 14th MARCH

Thursday, 14th March. 2024.

         The sky was dull, and the dark clouds were filled with rain; I slept deep into the morning- so I had to rush out since it usually took me an hour and thirty-two minutes to get to work. I carried my shoes on my left hand and hung my cashier uniform jacket on my right arm.

"Outskirts sir, Golden Bay" I said to the taxi man I waved to a stop.

Although I was two minutes late, I still made it to work before my boss and most of my co-workers. Unlike other days, that day was extra busy- and even though all hands were on deck, it didn't seem like the customers were reducing.

We closed the curtains for the day late. I left for home at about 8:30pm. I refused a lift home from my boss because I was tired of being on his sympathy list.

At the junction of the street leading to my house, I paused at mama Sabrina's shop to buy a loaf of bread and tea against the next morning, I doubted I'd have the time to prepare any stressful breakfast. I could see from afar that the lights in the entire street were out.

"No light since afternoon ooo" said mama Sabi after observing how fixed my eyes were into the dark street.

"Ah, Nepa no go gree person receive fan" I responded to mama Sabi who was known for gossiping and poke-nosing.

I worked into the dark street, with my left hand fiercely gripping on my bread and tea nylon. The street was highly protected by security personnel's who were highly on guard- but something seemed off, really off; and even though I couldn't point a finger... I just knew I had to get home fast.

"My love" I heard from behind me. Only two people in the world called me that, my mother was late; so it had to be...

"Ekene" I said after an immediate turn.

"Oh, you remember me? Good, good.
I see you're doing great, you don get money na?
Round am joor" commanded Ekene

And in seconds, more guys appeared. I dropped to my knees and initiated the apology mechanism.

"Ekene please, we can talk over a cup of tea; see see, there's tea in my nylon bag. You see? am not lying" I said with shaky hands as I tore my nylon bag, reveling the items purchased.

"Unfortunately for you, am not hungry babe" said Ekene as he covered my head with a sack bag while I felt my hands being tied to my back.

"Where are you taking me?
Please, let's talk.
I can pay you off, just leave me please.
I didn't cross your path like you requested" I said- breathing heavily.
"Shut up, have you always been this much of a talker?
And yes, I know! You didn't cross my path, but I suppose it isn't much of a problem if I choose to cross yours...right?" Said Ekene before hitting my head so hard with what seemed like a metal.

CHAPTER END
What are your reviews on this one?
Do you think Ekene had the right to have gone along Esomchi's path?

Please read, vote, comment and follow me.
Thank you all.