Chapter 17

Chapter 17

When Sam came back I sat up on my elbows and showed him my new skill.

Cameron grabbed a towel and started drying, while Sam starred at me. It was a little unnerving.

I flopped back down on the floor, mentally grimacing at the cold tiles.

Cameron stopped drying.

"A little help?" He asked.

"Nah, your doing pretty good." I said with a smile.

Cameron laughed and continued drying, moving to my lower tail.

You'd think he would be creeped out by the fact that me touching water equals tail.

But I guess not. And for that, I am extremely happy.

"Earth to Sam?" I said, as Sam just sat there.

I sighed and ran my hands over my tail. Loving the feeling of the smooth scales.

My tail felt really warm, too warm. It was stinging.

Suddenly, steam began to rise from my body, and in a matter of seconds I had legs again.

Cameron sat back on the floor, and Sam sat kept sitting where he was.

"Steam dried....cool." I said, trying to lighten the mood.

I wonder what else I could do...

Cameron looked from me to Sam and back again.

"Any theories Sam?" he asked.

Sam finally got up, but started pacing, which wasn't much better than sitting still.

"How did I not... Is it possible..." Sam mumbled to himself, still pacing.

"Care to enlighten us?" I asked, wanting to know what he was thinking.

Where had these new abilities come from?

"How could I have missed this?? The Prophecy. It specifically says, 'Water at their hands'. Maybe we assumed to much. This is what it meant. The power of water at your hands. Not just being a mermaid."

Sam was very serious now, and he was starting to scare me.

The whole time he talked he waved his hands, gesturing like crazy.

I wondered if Sam was right. If he was, that meant it wasn't possible to succeed my first try at the lake.

The prophecy hadn't been fulfilled before, I was doomed to fail.

But it had now.

Cameron seemed to follow my trail of thinking.

"No your not going back now." he said seriously. No longer the joking Cameron I loved.

"Of course not!" I agreed.

"I need more training. I need to learn to block the Illusionist and to control this new...ability."

I looked to Sam and he nodded slowly.

"The Hunter will be here in shortly, I need to prepare some things for his arrival." He said. "Until then I encourage you to work out this new ability. Find it's limits."

Sam left quietly, murmuring something about how stupid he was.

Based on Cameron's laugh, I think he agreed wholeheartedly.

-------------------------------------

The rest of the morning and afternoon was spent testing my abilities in the smaller gym.

It had everything the regular one did, in a condensed version.

I could 'raise or lower the internal temperature of water along with bend it with your mind.' in Sam's words.

In mine, I could freeze water, boil it, or move it.

Which was freaking awesome if you ask me.

If I mastered this, I could get to the water so much easier. Just freeze the Daemons feet to the ground.

I laughed at that mental image.

Cameron stopped talking.

"Are you even listening?" He asked with a serious yet somewhat playful grin.

"Yeah, yeah, something about the best defensive position." I said while waving my hand in the air.

"Well then, I guess someone-"

At that moment Sam walked in, with a serious expression on his face.

"He's here." He said simply.

Sam never was one for long explanations.