Chapter 7

I felt much better the next morning. With only one or two bruises. I took a quick shower.

I ate breakfast again with Sam and Cameron. On our way to the gym Sam told us we would be sparring with different partners today.

I had learned Sam was kinda like their leader here. Or at least one of the top dogs.

In the gym I grabbed the same knife as I had yesterday. Cameron headed off with another guy about his age, and Sam led me to a different guy about 19. With dark hair and darker eyes.

This guys name was Max. He choose a short ax looking weapon.

Small but deadly.

We found an empty spot and began circling each other. I kept my weight low to the ground, on the balls of my feet like Cameron had taught me. We spun and slashed at each other, careful to not actually draw blood.

I ended up winning the first two rounds, pinning Max to the floor with my danger at his throat. But the third round he came back with a vengeance. I tried to duck an outmaneuver him, knowing I couldn't take him down now, only outlast him. I was about to make a move toward his legs, when he brought his ax down, way closer than it should have been.

I tried to move out of the way, but Max was too fast. He tackled me to the ground, and I heard something snap loudly.

About two seconds later, my felt a shooting pain in my ankle. It hurt. A lot.

"Max!" I yelled. "Stop!"

I saw a blur our of the corner of my eye and then Max was off of me and on the ground beside me.

And Cameron was pinning him there, with a vicious look on his eyes.

By now everyone had stopped practicing and were watching us. Sam came over, looking at my shoulder.

"What happened here?" he asked Max.

Cameron wasn't giving him a chance to explain.

"He was out of line! He tackled her and they both went to the ground, either of them could have landed on their weapon and been hurt. And he wouldn't let her up when it was clear he already won!"

Sam looked from me to Max.

"Cameron let him up, and Max you should know better. You don't spare to fight! You spare to learn."

Cameron let him up, and Max and Sam stood and talked quietly. Cameron came over to give me a hand. When he pulled me up, I tried to put weight on my ankle and gasped. I think it was broken or badly sprained.

Cameron looked furious when he saw how swollen my ankle was. I sat back down, not wanting to put weight on it.

And with that Cameron walked up behind Max, spun him around, and preceded to punch him in the face.

I put my hand to my face to stop from laughing, and Sam took Max away before he could swing back.

Everyone went back to sparring, looking afraid of Cameron. He scooped me up and carried me out a door I hadn't noticed before.

"The first-aid station ." He said, noticing the confused look on my face.

------------------------------------

After the nurse told me not to put any weight on my badly sprained ankle the rest of the day, I went to my room, and Cameron went back to the gym.

Sam brought my dinner to my room, and told me Max had said he was sorry. I wasn't holding a grudge, but I don't think I was going to spar with him again anytime soon.

I wasn't hungry but Sam left the food anyway. Surprisingly I feel asleep quickly. When I awoke in the middle of the night I realized that I hadn't had a nightmare in two nights.