Chapter 4

Hey guys, thanks for reading! Please comment, if nothing else! I WILL make a sequel, so tell me how you like this book:)

************************************

Sam just raise a hand to quiet me.

"They have enhanced senses, and special skills. We heal quickly too. Our purpose is to fight the daemons. Daemons are half human, half demon. They are horrible, vile, creatures. They have razor sharp teeth and claws."

Yeh, he didn't have to tell me twice. I feel those claws every night.

" We kill them, before they kill anyone else. They kill for fun, and live to kill Hunters. Hunters are born. Not made. And they are rare."

So these two were like me, 'Hunters'.

"I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that guy last night was a Daemon?"

Cameron grinned at me, " Ding Ding Ding we have a winner!"

I gave him my best annoyed look.

"So I'm a hunter.... Now what?" I asked Sam.

"Now you train. Every Hunter gets their skills and senses when they come of age. They train in physical combat, and one on one fighting."

"When we feel a Hunter is ready we send them out in pairs, to patrol and live in a spot where the Daemon attacks are most concentrated. They kill they Daemons there, then move to another city.

"You will learn more later...the coming of age is normally 18 or 19. We aren't sure why your skills developed early...Sometimes skills show themselves when the Hunter is in danger, but I don't think you were in any danger until now."

I glanced at Cameron, who was watching me intently. Great. Confession time.

"Ummm.... About a month ago I started having nightmares. About this place, called The Lake...."

Cameron laughed, the nerve of that guy. Sam gave him a slight nod, so he started talking.

"The Lake isn't really a physical place. When we send a Hunter there, their physical body remains here. Their only there subconsciously, but they can still kill Daemons. Their goal at The Lake is to gather as much information as possible, so we can close the door between our worlds."

Sam paused to make sure I was taking everything in. When I nodded he continued.

"Daemon can cross into our world. When they are here they closely resemble humans. We can go The Lake, but have to be in deep sleep. You will learn more about it later."

"Their leader is a very powerful Daemon, but we don't yet know the extent of his power."

"We have sent many Hunters to The Lake, but they never returned. Their body goes into a coma, and they have stayed that way since."

"We think they are being held prisoner at the very bottom of The Lake."

"Wait, what happens to their physical bodies?" I'm not sure if I wanted to know the answer.

Sam looked at me sadly.

"We have them in our larger infirmary hoping one day, that they will wake up, or one of the Hunters will be successful in rescuing them."

"If you have been having dreams about The Lake, that's defiantly enough to trigger your senses, which will trigger your other skills."

Cameron glanced at me to see if I'm taking this in. Ive actually surprised myself, that I haven't run away screaming.

"So how do you kill these things? These... Daemons?"

Sam and Cameron gave each other another long look. Great, I need to get some kind of translator here. I mean, really, that like 6 'looks' already!

Sam cleared his throat. "I think that's enough for now, we can tell you more tomorrow, when you start training."

"Woah, Woah, Woah, slow down here. What about my family? My life? I can just-"

Cameron, with a smug look on his face cut me off.

"First off your 'family won't miss you. It's a type of defense mechanism. You parents never really noticed you did they?"

"Not really, but-"

"When Hunters get closer to coming of age, about age 13-15 something happens so that anyone near them pretty much forgets them. It's so Daemons aren't attracted to them. If a Hunters parents are making a big deal of the Hunters skills, they noticed. One doctors trip, one witness, one newspaper ad and that Hunter is on the Daemons radar. As for school, you are being 'transferred' to a private school."

Sam stood up, and Cameron followed suit. I guess our little heart-to-heart was over.

"You need to rest, even if your wound is pretty much healed, you still need to sleep." With that they both left.

I laid back down, soaking everything in. I felt strangely content. Like now I had a purpose. This has to be why I felt to alive when I fought the Daemon. I was born to do this.

************************************

I shall put chapter 5 up sometime tomorrow, maybe the next day. Sometime really really soon!